S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch/Flywheel HELP!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Flywheel HELP!

Hey Guys, I need some solid feedback regarding a flywheel/clutch issue I have ran into.

The backstory goes like this if you have any opinions on it. I paid a local performance shop to do the clutch for me. When I picked it up, the shifting on the transmission and the clutch engagement point were very bad. I immediately brought it back and they adjusted it for me. It improved slightly, enough for me to drive it around for a break in period. After 500 miles or so, the clutch engagement point was good, but the transmission became very difficult to get it into gear. I called them for almost 2 weeks, I could not get through at the shop. I eventually texted his personal cell because nobody was returning my calls, he responded once, and then stopped responding all together. I have always done my own work, but life just doesn't allow it anymore, so unfortunately I trusted the work to someone that I shouldn't have. Expensive lesson learned.

Anyway, I started getting a whining/free rotating sound that I thought might be the clutch/flywheel. I ruled out the diff because the sound seems like it is coming from the clutch/flywheel area and it was the only variable that has changed. The noise would get louder under load. With the transmission out of the car, I can shift from the gears very smoothly. The trans is an 06 and only has 50K miles on it with regular fluid changes.

I pulled off the clutch last night to find that the lower 3 clutch bolts, (the 10mm 12 points) were very loose (not even finger tight). I proceed to pull the rest of the clutch off, and I see the scoring on the flywheel.

Questions:

1. is it safe to assume that the incorrectly torqued bolts caused the scoring?
2. would the scoring and loose bottom three bolts on the pressure plates really create that whine that I was hearing?
3. does the pressure plate look fine where I could just retorque everything back to spec?
a. does it need to be resurfaced?
b. could it be potentially warped?
4. am I missing something else I should be considering?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Sucks this is happening - still don't know why people use trackforged

Have you gone to the shop directly? The co-worker with the rebuild is now just showing up randomly - last visit did not go well.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

My guess is its not warped but just a hot spot on flywheel from the uneven pressure from loose PP on disc. Since your town into it this far, it might be smart to go ahead and pull the flywheel and have it checked and resurfaced. Cost about $40. How’s the disc and PP look?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
My guess is its not warped but just a hot spot on flywheel from the uneven pressure from loose PP on disc. Since your town into it this far, it might be smart to go ahead and pull the flywheel and have it checked and resurfaced. Cost about $40. How’s the disc and PP look?
agreed. you could also run a tap through the threads that had the loose bolts and make sure everythings ok in those. depending how the pressure plate looks i'd resurface the flywheel and throw it back together.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Post pics of the pressure plate and friction disc. Flywheel is hot spotted, just remove it and have it lightly resurfaced to remove that. When you put it all back together (pending pics of PP and friction disc) be sure to torque flywheel and PP bolts to proper spec, in the proper order, and in appropriate increments.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone for their feedback

The disc and pressure plate looks fine. There is VERY slight uneven wear on the pressure plate, but I would feel fine about putting that back in as-is. I will see if anyone else chimes in with valuable feedback that I haven't considered, but I likely will just pull the flywheel, have it resurfaced and bring the pressure plate with me so they can take a look and confirm what I am seeing.

I am a positive attitude guy, but it is hard not to be a little bitter after you pay someone to do the work and drive it ~500 miles and then end up just redoing the work yourself. That is to the extent I will b* about this. Moving on!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

It looks like a hotspot in the flywheel. Resurfacing should take care of it. Maybe light sanding would take care of it as well. Resurfacing is better.

If you didn't buy factory Honda clutch parts....this is a good chance to replace them with Honda parts.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why you don't share the name of the shop in your experience. How can other potential customers of theirs be properly informed about the risks of using them?

And why not just go directly to the shop and demand satisfaction, instead of giving up when they won't return your call?

Shops that pull this crap really aggravate me, but us being lazy, non confronting consumers allows them to get away with it.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
I don't understand why you don't share the name of the shop in your experience. How can other potential customers of theirs be properly informed about the risks of using them?

And why not just go directly to the shop and demand satisfaction, instead of giving up when they won't return your call?

Shops that pull this crap really aggravate me, but us being lazy, non confronting consumers allows them to get away with it.
Slow down there cowboy. This has already been discussed in our local chapter, so actual "potential" customers have been informed. I am now posting in a section that gets viewed countrywide. Unless YOU in Kentucky want to drive 3/4 way across the country for a clutch job, I think this is just fine. You know WHY I didn't post their specific shop name? Because then aggravated confrontational folks like yourself come into the thread and take it off on a tangent. This purpose of this post is to try to get some feedback regarding how I fix the problem, not for a public bashing of said shop.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2sik
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1440680355' post='23728178

Slow down there cowboy. This has already been discussed in our local chapter, so actual "potential" customers have been informed. I am now posting in a section that gets viewed countrywide. Unless YOU in Kentucky want to drive 3/4 way across the country for a clutch job, I think this is just fine. You know WHY I didn't post their specific shop name? Because then aggravated confrontational folks like yourself come into the thread and take it off on a tangent. This purpose of this post is to try to get some feedback regarding how I fix the problem, not for a public bashing of said shop.
Lots of very poor assumptions in your post. Farewell

Quick Reply: Clutch/Flywheel HELP!