S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch pedal Vibration

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch pedal Vibration

Hey guys. Had the S2000 for about 5 months now, not putting tons of miles on it but just rolled 18,500. So still very low miles for 2007. Recently though i'm getting a weird vibration in my clutch pedal. Round 2
-It's right above the engagement point and can be felt when downshifting most noticeably.
-It's like an electric trimmer or razor, very high frequency.
-Just started noticing it on these colder days but ONLY after the engine/trans is warm. It can be felt if you're in gear and driving and lightly touch the pedal. It's literally the first second that pedal pressure is put on the master cylinder at the end of the free play. I can also feel it if i'm thinking about it and am in netural at a stop. With the trans out of gearing and engine idling, i can push the pedal to a point where it very lightly buzzes.
-Progressively getting worse/more noticeable.

I have only done a few things to the car 1. trans fluid flushed 2. clutch fluid resovoir emptied and refiled 3.clutch pedal free play adjustment (i re-adjusted it back out to see if that changed anything.

I also noticed a drop on the bottom of my master cylinder in the footwell. I will replace that and I know that there could be air in the system. Could that cause it?

BEFORE SOME SAYS CRANK WALK, I did test to see if there was play in the crank by prying at it and pushing it back in until it 'clunked.' I didn't have the measurement tool but it literally is moving so little that I can't see the push. I'll work on measuring it but I don't think that's the problem.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Possible pilot bearing? This is the bearing that resides in the flywheel. Not sure why this would be going out after such low miles, but this is what first comes to mind after hearing the symptoms.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Possible pilot bearing? This is the bearing that resides in the flywheel. Not sure why this would be going out after such low miles, but this is what first comes to mind after hearing the symptoms.
Nor am I sure why. But at the same time I don't know why any of this stuff would be going badly at such low miles.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Okay another theory - let me know if this is ridiculous. I'll get it on a lift soon to see if it's possible.
I had the free play at just about zero in the pedal/left the free play in the master cylinder. I didn't have pressure on the master cylinder, just very close. Is it possible that I had the release fork resting on the throw out bearing and the fork is now bent or loose? I know this would be easy to tell if i got it on a lift but does that sound reasonable? I'm trying to think what could have caused this
Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on this? I have the same issue...
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I have a 2009 with 37K. I have noticed a similar issue but it occurs only if I am putting a lateral force (light) on the clutch. If my foot is resting on the clutch and it bends to one side, usually outboard, it occurs. I can affect the intensity by moving it laterally. It is unrelated to gear position or throttle. Once in line it goes away. I got the sense it was some kind of harmonic vibration and unrelated to a mechanical issue. I may be wrong.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
My s has developed the same vibration! What was the solution?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates
Old 08-08-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

When you depress your clutch pedal past the free play, you're starting to engage the clutch fork with the throwout bearing. If your t/o bearing has dried out (from riding the clutch a lot, especially at high RPMs) it's bearings can start breaking down, getting pitted. It's a matter of time before the t/o bearing completely fails. Time to get it replaced. Since you have to pull the tranny to get to it, you should also replace the clutch plate, pressure plate and pilot bearing.

That's why it's important not to ride your clutch. It's pricey to have your t/o bearing fail before your clutch wears out. I have 284,000 miles on my original clutch and t/o bearing. I intentionally have the clutch pedal pressed as little as possible.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:30 AM

Hey guys, I'm experiencing very similar vibrations in my S. I thought it was the motor mounts, replaced those (both were broken), and the vibration persists. I'm kicking myself for not doing the tranny mounts at the same time, I'm going to do those soon. My symptoms:
  • Occurs after about 30 minutes of driving or if car is already warm
  • No vibration at low RPMs
  • Vibration at red line shift felt through shifter and through clutch pedal, especially when re-engaging the clutch
  • When stopped, the car in neutral, clutch pedal depressed and gently reving the car a small vibration is noticed as the revs start to fall
Any thoughts / suggestions on what solved the vibration on your guys' cars and or any suggestions on what to replace on my car? Any comments would be hugely appreciated.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal Vibration