S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch problems again

Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problems again

Well after a long period of time I finally got my science of speed clutch in and successfully broke it in. Unfortunately it has started to slip just as the stock one did. I am extremely disappointed as I only have a comptech SC with AC and stock pulley that is only tuned by the FPR. I was hopping to get it on the dyno in a couple weeks to get a proper tune however it doesn't look like that is going to happen now with the clutch problems. The clutch has been in for maybe a month.

Any advice on what to do? I am extremely disappointed as the clutch should have been able to hold the power as advertised. I more than did enough easy driving with the car before pushing the car. Now am I going to have to buy an entire new clutch kit? not to mention it wasn't easy getting the first clutch in.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea that clutch is good up to like 250tq? I like to have too much clutch than not enough. Good luck. How much tq are u making?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by s2k dre
Yea that clutch is good up to like 250tq? I like to have too much clutch than not enough. Good luck. How much tq are u making?

If it didn't slip maybe I could get it on a dyno and tell you. it is 300tq at the crank. They estimate 250tq at the wheels or 400RWHP. I doubt that I am even at 300RWHP without a tune.

If the PP is enough I would assume it would have to be a problem with either the disk or flywheel. I didn't get a new flywheel just reused the old one and drove over a tank of gas without getting on the gas which is more than enough for that clutch kit.

I really don't have the time to mess around with it and I don't want the headace. Right now I just plan on dropping it off at a shop on Monday. If I have to take out a loan to pay to get it fixed at least it will be working. I am just sick of messing with it. Maybe if I had more time to mess with it but I don't.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

many people are running this clutch w/ no problems at the advertised max capacity of ~250 ft/lbs wtq. The clutch should not be slipping now no matter what. I would look into install error, mfg defect or maybe even user error.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by sunman
many people are running this clutch w/ no problems at the advertised max capacity of ~250 ft/lbs wtq. The clutch should not be slipping now no matter what. I would look into install error, mfg defect or maybe even user error.
Unfortunately it is going to be hard to tell what the problem is unless the transmission is out. It could have been installed wrong but it seemed kind of straight forward and I don't see how the car would be working unless it was in right.

Like I said the only thing I can think of is that the clutch disk and flywheel never got worn together properly. The clutch seems to grab more firm than stock.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

for those of us tuning in a bit late, what appears to be the problems and what symptoms? Just reading from what you've written, could it be possible that it's an adjustment problem, hydraulic system problem, and so on?

Was the flywheel resurfaced?

If the flywheel was indeed resurfaced, and all the clutch kit (disk, PP, bearing) components were new, then I would suggest looking elsewhere before doing the install again just to avoid running into the same problem 3 times.

Is the clutch completely disengaging when you let off the clutch pedal? Theres a couple of things to check for before giving up is all i'm saying
Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dagle
for those of us tuning in a bit late, what appears to be the problems and what symptoms? Just reading from what you've written, could it be possible that it's an adjustment problem, hydraulic system problem, and so on?

Was the flywheel resurfaced?

If the flywheel was indeed resurfaced, and all the clutch kit (disk, PP, bearing) components were new, then I would suggest looking elsewhere before doing the install again just to avoid running into the same problem 3 times.

Is the clutch completely disengaging when you let off the clutch pedal? Theres a couple of things to check for before giving up is all i'm saying
It is possible that it is an adjustment issue but we bled the clutch after the install. I don't know what else would have needed to be adjusted. I guess I don't have a way of telling if it is completely disengaged. I have kind of been moving around lately and I currently don't live somewhere where I have a garage and it is a small city witch makes working on the car difficult. essentially if I need to do something with the car I would need to take it to a shop an hour away or drive to a different city and borrow a friends garage.

The kicker was that the flywheel wasn't replaced or resurfaced. We had planned on getting it resurfaced but after taking it all apart there were not burn markers or signs of wear. flywheel was in almost perfect condition and in spec. I had insisted on still getting it done but I had 3 different buddies look at it and they all said it was fine and a waste of money to get it resurfaced. It would have made the install another day to wait till the week to get it resurfaced so I decided to take there advice and not get it done (2 of my buddies work as mechanics). Might have got me in the end but they were all very confident that the flywheel was more than within spec.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

That's quite a situation there haha.. but I would still rule out the adjustment problem just to be sure. If you don't have a means to peek into the clutch to see if it's engaging/disengaging (where the slave cylinder is under the car IIRC), you can take the time out of the day to do trial and error. Adjust the clutch pedal so it engages lower on the clutch pedal stroke, go for a drive and see if you can still replicate the clutch slipping. If it still slips, at the very least you'll have ruled one thing out.

As for the flywheel, though it might have looked good in flatness etc. It wouldn't be confidence inspiring to me, and in this case without actually seeing the flywheel I would say that it's very possible that's the issue. In any event, I wish you the best of luck and hope it's not costly
Old 04-03-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by dagle
That's quite a situation there haha.. but I would still rule out the adjustment problem just to be sure. If you don't have a means to peek into the clutch to see if it's engaging/disengaging (where the slave cylinder is under the car IIRC), you can take the time out of the day to do trial and error. Adjust the clutch pedal so it engages lower on the clutch pedal stroke, go for a drive and see if you can still replicate the clutch slipping. If it still slips, at the very least you'll have ruled one thing out.

As for the flywheel, though it might have looked good in flatness etc. It wouldn't be confidence inspiring to me, and in this case without actually seeing the flywheel I would say that it's very possible that's the issue. In any event, I wish you the best of luck and hope it's not costly

it currently engages at the very top of the pedal. I don't have to push it in far at all to completely disengage it. It is odd cuz when the clutch was first installed I had to push the clutch all the way in to get it to disengage then the engagement slowly changed over a few weeks. I had a buddy do most of the technical parts of the installation since he had done lots of clutch jobs before so I really don't know to much about it other than all the parts I removed to get the transmission out.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sunman
install error, mfg defect or maybe even user error.
x2

Quick Reply: clutch problems again