S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch woes...

Old 03-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch woes...

My car is a 03, with 54k, all stock clutch was replaced 1200 miles ago with a OEM and the flywheel was a ACT. Now the problems I'm having is weird and intermittent, when the car is decelerating the clutch seems to be not disengaging completely as the car is hard to take out of gear, its as if i'm trying to disengage the gear with out pushing in the clutch! When the car is running, i can hear something spinning when the clutch is engaged, and when its disengaged it kind of slows down to a stop, i think its the throwout bearing, even though everything was replaced and new? Also when at a dead stop, i must hold in the clutch for about 3 seconds before i try to engage first gear, or i could just select 4th and it will go into 1st no problem! Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Me and my mechanic are baffled, here's what we already did. Also sometimes when i release the clutch pedal I can feel a sort of click when its almost all the way out.

1. Bled the clutch (But not thoroughly)
2. Adjusted the clutch pedal to have zero free play
3. Checked for leaks on the master and slave and everything seemed OK.

Any input would be great!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IntenseImports,Mar 23 2008, 03:09 PM

This would be my first inclination.

Second would be if you are skipping gears and issues with worn synchros.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM

so what's the proper setting? And i dont think its because of the syncros because it started happening after the clutch install.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by IntenseImports,Mar 23 2008, 06:09 PM
My car is a 03, with 54k, all stock clutch was replaced 1200 miles ago with a OEM and the flywheel was a ACT. Now the problems I'm having is weird and intermittent, when the car is decelerating the clutch seems to be not disengaging completely as the car is hard to take out of gear, its as if i'm trying to disengage the gear with out pushing in the clutch! When the car is running, i can hear something spinning when the clutch is engaged, and when its disengaged it kind of slows down to a stop, i think its the throwout bearing, even though everything was replaced and new? Also when at a dead stop, i must hold in the clutch for about 3 seconds before i try to engage first gear, or i could just select 4th and it will go into 1st no problem! Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Me and my mechanic are baffled, here's what we already did. Also sometimes when i release the clutch pedal I can feel a sort of click when its almost all the way out.

1. Bled the clutch (But not thoroughly)
3. Checked for leaks on the master and slave and everything seemed OK.

Any input would be great!
the noise you hear from the transmission when the clutch isn't depressed is the input shaft of the transmission. When you press in the clutch, it disengages the flywheel from input shaft and it slowly comes to a stop. This is the reason you hear a knocking noise if you quickly press in the clutch and put the gear shifter into 1st!

It sounds like your clutch isnt completely disengaging. If you turn off the car, can you put the car into 1st gear without issue?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

why don't you try bleeding the clutch all the way...
Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Mar 23 2008, 08:12 PM
the noise you hear from the transmission when the clutch isn't depressed is the input shaft of the transmission. When you press in the clutch, it disengages the flywheel from input shaft and it slowly comes to a stop. This is the reason you hear a knocking noise if you quickly press in the clutch and put the gear shifter into 1st!

It sounds like your clutch isnt completely disengaging. If you turn off the car, can you put the car into 1st gear without issue?
Its fine when the cars off, and the clutch is definetly not disengaging properly. In gonna bleed it again. Any ideas what else could be causing this?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:25 PM

bump
Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 PM

Maybe trash in clutch master cylinder or lines. Try flushing old fluid out completely by bleeding slave cylinder again until you get the clean fluid and no air out of the slave cylinder bleed valve. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:16 PM

Bled it again with a fluid vacuum, that seemed to fix 70% of the problem, the tough shifting is gone but she still sticks in gear occasionally when decelerating. Any other ideas what this could be. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:19 PM

Did you fill the interior "valley" of the new throwout (release) bearing with high temp grease prior to installing?

Quick Reply: Clutch woes...