S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech CAI question (strut tower help needed)

Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech CAI question (strut tower help needed)

So, since I hate the look of my new K&N Short Ram (for sale shortly) I went off and ordered a Comptech CAI ... looks great and as everyone has said is a real PITA to install .... once I figured out where everything goes (which is another PITA) I started with the install ... midway through, as I was trying to remove the vacum lines from the vacum tank, SNAP! - one of the nipples (on the tank you pervs!) broke off of the tank rendering it useless ... $20 from the dealership but I have to wait until MONDAY for this ... ARRGGHH!!! It goes to paint and body Monday am, so hopefully UPS gets to the dealer early!

Anyways...here's my delima ... I went and did a "test fit" on the intake and found out that my strut tower brace will not work with thus huge frackin' tube/box combo from the Comptech ... I know these towers really dont do much, but I like the look of them. Does anyone know which tower braces will work with a Comptech CAI?? I have a 2000 AP1 in case that matters at all.

I saw that there is a Comptech brace for sale on several sites...but $300 ... C'MON MAN!!!!

Expensive ass hobby for sure!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

mmmmm nipples!!

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ake/index.html

no clue on the strut bar
Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM

i broke a nip off the canister before. just drilled the hole out enough to screw a small barb fitting in its place with a little 599BR Ultra Grey on it, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. took about 10 minutes.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing
i broke a nip off the canister before. just drilled the hole out enough to screw a small barb fitting in its place with a little 599BR Ultra Grey on it, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. took about 10 minutes.

Great idea!!!! Heading to Home Depot tomorrow am!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
mmmmm nipples!!

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ake/index.html

no clue on the strut bar
BTW ... I also got rid of the dadburn crappy filter that came with it and replaced it with a AFE one .... keeps the mess out!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:38 PM

the barb i used was very small. the barbs you will find at homo-depot wont be very close.

in the pic, its the one beneath the 1/8"npt from lowes.

anyhow, you can also buy a "T" or "male-male" white plastic barb from like advance auto parts or autozone and just cut one end off, drill your hole to the non-barbed end's diameter, and then use super glue(any strong bonding agent) to bond it in the hole. and you'll be all good.

hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing
the barb i used was very small. the barbs you will find at homo-depot wont be very close.

in the pic, its the one beneath the 1/8"npt from lowes.

anyhow, you can also buy a "T" or "male-male" white plastic barb from like advance auto parts or autozone and just cut one end off, drill your hole to the non-barbed end's diameter, and then use super glue(any strong bonding agent) to bond it in the hole. and you'll be all good.

hope this helps.
that does help .... I'll check out one of the specialty stores in town as well...I forgot tomorrow was Friday so I'll be able to look around more .... one question, when you drill it...will it matter is some of the debris remains in the box? Was thinking about that when I looked at it...would be tough to get some longer shards out
Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 PM

nah. when you drill something, the bit pulls the material from the surface to allow for more drilling.

its very thin, so the "debris" will be small and will just fall out with a few taps.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 AM

i have the intake and it fit perfectly with my j's racing strut bar
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM

fits with mine as well, but then again, i have a one-off strut bar we fabbed in house. lol

Quick Reply: Comptech CAI question (strut tower help needed)