S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Couple Car Issues Need Help With.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Couple Car Issues Need Help With.

Problem #1: Cold Start
Had Cold Start issue since bought her in 06 in Arizona with 28,000 miles on odometer.
Once temperatures hit 50 and below she starts to crank over slower and at times start and sputter then VROOM and be back in business.

Now I moved to Boston... guess what... it's below 50f.. UH HUH and today it was almost 0f!! So I am up for another job interview, crank her over, and same shit bigger pile, only this time cranking is SLOW AS HELL. Craaaaaank.... "Silence* Craaank... Then start up.... Stutter and dies, I repeat until she Fires up like it never had a problem.

Battery was replaced BTW.

Problem #2: Gauges
Back to this morning, close to 0F and I have starting issue mentioned above. Then when car fires up, all electronics are slow, I'm sure yall know what I mean. The Gauges have a much dimmer spot between 3.5 and 5K RPM, I'm like W/E it will go away, I have an 1 hour drive ahead of me. Just came back 4 hours later and gauges still look dim in that spot. BTW The Temperature Gauge was dimmer then usual one day in AZ too. It was weird.

Problem # 3: Mirror Bttn
When adjusting mirrors in the car my adjustment switch when you hit it and mirrors are moving I have loud sparking/static noise coming from the button.

Problem # 4: Steering wheel.
When turning the wheel 360 degrees the wheel right where the column is it makes a grinding noise, also only when cold.

I think my S2K hate this weather . Anyways Thank you for reading and any help you can provide!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

battery connection? battery issue? fuse?

i don't know. first thing that popped in my head was battery.

but if not, it could be the cold weather. that or the hob goblins inside your car.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection. Mine would do that occasionally. Turned out to be a loose terminal that needed a shim. Could also be the starter or bas ground on the starter. As far as the dash. No idea. Good luck. What year is it? And do you have any mods.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:29 AM
EOE

Has to be goblins! I baby her, take care of everything my self. It is a 2004 S2000 with 68,0000 miles now.

I will pop the hood and look at grounds, connections and will pour some baking soda and distilled water on terminals, they seem to be a bit oxidized, but i highly doubt thatll make that much of a differance.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those lights are all LED, so i can't imagine them "dimming" because they'll just die before dimming. sounds like the power source problem. I would check the main lights or take the gauge out and look at the connection on the back *(which is a hard clip to shake off)
Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
EOE

Noticed today at idle the Gauges kinda flicker a bit, a bump of RPM ghet rid of the issue. The Dimm spot is still darker then the rest of the gauge. But flikering is really noticable at idle.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 AM
EOE

Any idea where that hard to unplug connector located at guys for gauges?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of oil do you have in there? I know when it was getting colder my 10w30 M1 was slowing the starts down.

Most people who run their S in the winter up here switch over to an oil that is more suited for the low temps. Altho when it was 0 like this morning any car is going to have trouble starting.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also as for your dimming lights, maybe the alternator does not like the cold? I know on cold starts my beater dims the headlights when I start to drive and the extra load is on at low RPMs.

I only notice this in the real cold like we've been having.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 PM
EOE

I've noticed two more problem today!!

It was cold again and here is whats new came up today...

Problem # 3:
When adjusting mirrors in the car my adjustment switch when you hit it and mirrors are moving I have loud sparking/static noise coming from the button.

Problem # 4:
When turning the wheel 360 degrees the wheel right where the column is it makes a grinding noise, also only when cold.

EDIT: Oh BTW, I run Mobil1 Extended Performance 10w-30. I ran it in my H22 Prelude and NEVER had problems with starting. Plus thats what honda recommends. You think 5w-30 is going to solve my problem? Also another thought, ive noticed S2K batterys are like 1/2 size, their cranking amps have to be way lower then regular size battery right?

Quick Reply: Couple Car Issues Need Help With.