S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

cracked SC bracket!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2002, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked SC bracket!!!!!!!!!!

was checking my oil today and discovered that the upper left SC bracket is cracked. I looks like it is cracked all the way thru, but I cannot budge it when I apply light force.

don't know if coincidence or not, but I installed the ESM about 3 weeks ago. Don't know if the crack pre-dates that or not.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:43 AM

Probably the crack pre-dates. This is a chronic Comptech SC problem. There are a few members on the board that have new brackets on and they haven't busted them yet... Perhaps the problem has been solved??? Talk with davepk or SilverSurfer.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:02 AM

is the bracket under warranty from comtech>?
Old 02-08-2002, 08:05 AM

talked to comptech and apparently, this is not the "critical" bracket that has broken before. They are sending a new one which I will probably install myself.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock make sure you check all brackets when you reinstall. Also, loosen both sides prior to tightening and make sure all is line up correctly. You should not have any preload on the bolts. Comptech has always stood behind their product and not once ever questioned a warranty issue.

Currently my setup is doing good, no cracks or breaks in the last 5K miles. I have been to numerous track days and all is good. My setup is alittle different than the others out there.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:02 AM

RocketMan,

You say the upper left bracket bracket broke...
Which left? Do you mean the bracket that sits next to the VTEC seleniod? Or the one next to the Alternator?

Like SilverSurfer I have several thousand mostly trouble free miles on a new bracket setup without broken brackets. I have experienced a couple of broken mounting bolts with this new setup but i think i now have that resolved.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:53 AM

silversurfer:
Mike B said there was no alignment issue with this bracket - he said I could just unbolt that bracket and put the new one in

dave:
it's the vtec bracket - upper left as you look at the engine from the front of the car

Rspec99:
the crack was very obvious and did go all away around. It actually shifted up a millimeter or two where it is cracked, although this may have "jammed" it in place, 'cause I can't move it.

I don't know if the new brackets are re-designed or what; maybe dave or ss know
Old 02-08-2002, 12:16 PM

dave and i are beta testing a new setup. the differences are the thickness of the front plate, the VTEC bracket is beefier with 2 hex bolts instead of one bolt and the oil feed line is now on the back end of the bracket instead of the front. Also, there is an arm going from the blower to the ALT side mount point on the front plate. So far so good.

that is interesting that your VTEC bracket cracked first. Definitely check the other side when you install the new bracket.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:42 PM

Just to let you guys know I have driven my car for hundreds of miles on numerous occasions with cracked/broken brackets. As long as oil is not leaking from the VTEC bracket you should be ok to drive. Both dave and I have driven at the track with broken brackets and never had a problem. Yes it is inconvenient but not a major problem.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:14 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I drove Laguna in January and then all the way back to Washington on a cracked VTEC side bracket. The replacement bracket that I got from Comptech to replace the broken one doesn't look like the set-up Keith or Dave are currently running. I expect that the bracket I just received is one iteration back from the BETA BOYZ and will crack on me soon enough

BTW, My alt side bracket failed way back when and I replaced it with a home grown steel job that has held up so far.

Quick Reply: cracked SC bracket!!!!!!!!!!