S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Damaged valves - loose clearances

Old 01-23-2021, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Damaged valves - loose clearances

Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted as recently rejoined the S2000 family with my purchase of a 2003 S2000 Monte Carlo Blue with 160,000 miles. Great to be back but already ran into a couple of issues...

After having to have it recovered on the drive home after purchase due to a lost sump oil plug on the motorway by the RAC (previous owner forgot to tighten it) I decided to change the big end bearings and redo my valve clearances due to it sounding a bit tappety which I knew about prior to purchase. Luckily no damage as a result of the lost plug but jobs needed done nonetheless.

However when I took the cams off to do the valve clearances, I noticed the top of one of the exhaust valves has been damaged by the rocker arm pad due to the clearances being too large. It has actually peened over about 1/8 the top tip of the valve and left the surface rough and uneven where the rocker meets the valve.

I am mainly wondering if I need to replace the valve and therefore head off etc, which I really don’t want to get into at the minute. The tip of the valve is peened over about 1-1.5 mm and is about 1-1.5mm above the recess for where the keepers sit to retain the valves in the retainers. This is only the case on about 20 degrees of the full circumference of the valve tip. So I turn to you guys for any info on what I should do. No metal in the oil change or any other problems to note, the valves are also not bent in any way, just the very top impacted out of shape due to excessive force from the rocker from too large clearances.

I plan to drive this car on the road and also track it a couple of times this year. Do you think it’s safe to smooth the top of the valve and continue or is it necessary to change the valve. i.e. head off etc etc.

TIA,

Callum
Old 01-23-2021, 03:15 PM

Received 1,437 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Calzonii
Hi guys,

However when I took the cams off to do the valve clearances, I noticed the top of one of the exhaust valves has been damaged by the rocker arm pad due to the clearances being too large. It has actually peened over about 1/8 the top tip of the valve and left the surface rough and uneven where the rocker meets the valve.

TIA,

Callum
It not only the top of the valve stem which maybe damaged, but the valve's face which seals onto the seat may also be damaged. I guess you could run a leak-down test and see if those valves are still sealing? You may need to resurface the valve face, but may have issues pulling it from the guide, with the top damaged.

I'd run a leak-down and go from there.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2021, 06:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Valve retainers are probably cracked. upgrade to Ap2 retainers.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice,

Just to update you. I’m a mechanic and have measured the leak down and they are all still good at 20% loss, I am happy there is no issue with the valve seats and the retainers have also been replace with AP2 retainers.

I think I am going to run the car for a few hundred / 1000 miles on the road and reset the clearances after inspection.

I’ll be able to see if there’s any change to the damage on the valve before I then decide to track it.

I figure I haven’t much to lose with a few hundred easy road miles and re check as I’ll need to take the head off anyway if they’re not right.

Cheers,

Callum