S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Did the spark plug non-fouler thing...

Old 04-03-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the spark plug non-fouler thing...

When I put on, about 6 months ago, my J's 70rr I got a CEL (I knew it was gonna happen). Just recently, about 2-3 weeks ago I tried the spark plug non-fouler (the HELP! 42002) trick. Drilled out one with a 1/2" drill and put it all together under the car. Reset the ECU, pulling the battery cables and the back-up fuse, and I still got a CEL within a few minutes of driving!!!

I reset the ECU every now and then since then and I still get a CEL. If not on the first start up/drive then definetly on the second one. The longest I got without a CEL was about a 100 mile drive with two start ups. It came on while I was driving.

So I figured I needed to add another spark plug non-fouler. Did that, reset the ECU, and I still have a CEL!!!!

I haven't gone to a dealership to see what the code(s) are.

Sometimes the CEL blinks a few times when I'm coming to/at a stop. I never kept count but i think it's between 8-10 times.

I have had a CEL come on before I had the exhaust on. I went to the dealership to get it checked out. I had the "misfires on all four cylinders" codes and I think one for not having the gas cap on tight.

My car runs fine, or atleast I think it does. I think I may have over-revved once (back in December), dropping it from redlined in 4th to 3rd for a quick second and getting it into 5th. But nothing noticable after that, no pinging or anything.

Sorry for the long post. I'm trying to be very discriptive with this and my history my CEL's and such. Any help would be appreciated. And NO I don't wanna give up my exhaust !!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't gone to a dealership to see what the code(s) are.
I think you REALLY need to pull the code(s). It may have nothing to do with the test pipe.

Sometimes the CEL blinks a few times when I'm coming to/at a stop. I never kept count but i think it's between 8-10 times.
This usually means something serious. You are suppose to NOT drive the car if the CEL blinks. Continuing to do so may simply cause more damage and empty your bank account more quickly.

I think I may have over-revved once
This has been the cause of more CELs than natural occurences.

Ignoring a blinking CEL and continuing to drive and not getting the code pulled may put you in a world of hurt.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to make it to the dealership. Damn, I hope nothings jacked up. I've been driving like this for a while! I'll drive to the dealership and if something is really jacked then I'll get it towed from there. I'll have an update soon, if my engine doesn't blow up anytime soon!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not another one.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:48 PM

I don't think my head needs to be rebuilt. Are there any tell tale signs of damage done to the head? I'll have to take it to the dealership to see what's up.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:41 PM

I'm thinking the problem might be the secondary o2 sensor. Could it have been damaged by being directly exposed without a CAT to filter out the bad stuff?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=anthon_E,Apr 3 2006, 03:41 PM] I'm thinking the problem might be the secondary o2 sensor.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

A clogged convertor actually can damage the engine, if it's run long enough. If the exhaust is allowed to back up into the head the valves and rings can over heat, damaging both.

Since you don't have one that's not an issue.

The Flashing CEL isn't related to your spark plug anti-fouler, nor the exhaust system.

Get the codes pulled and stop guessing what could be wrong with it.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Apr 3 2006, 05:26 PM
A clogged convertor actually can damage the engine, if it's run long enough. If the exhaust is allowed to back up into the head the valves and rings can over heat, damaging both.
Ah, like the old potato in the tailpipe thing. I stand corrected on that point.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

Exactly

Quick Reply: Did the spark plug non-fouler thing...