S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   DIY Oil filter anti-spinoff mod (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/diy-oil-filter-anti-spinoff-mod-245303/)

Car Analogy 04-18-2024 07:44 AM

I haven't heard of any. But this allows using any oil filter, not just the Honda oem one. Also, this was a recommendation for track. Always a good idea to go overkill for track.

Also, its not 2004 anymore. They make S2000 specific filter safety wire kits. Much less kludgy looking. Though as Lowes locally available.

engifineer 04-18-2024 08:36 AM

I am not sure I have heard of one spinning off that was not torqued properly. But I know some that run this mod anyways. I would not go spend any more than the cheap DIY kludey method though on one. I guess I am not that concerned about the bling factor of something like this. I do not run this mod on mine. It of course can't hurt and is extra insurance.

Kobruh18 04-18-2024 09:08 AM

This car sees autox and the occasional track day, nothing crazy. But from past experience on other platforms, I'm more inclined to take preventative measures with this kind of thing. Definitely worth the couple bucks at Lowes to me. And for something like this I could care less how it looks, as long as it works. So personally, not worth the price of any of the kits I've seen (ASM, Renegade, J's racing).

Billman250 04-18-2024 09:12 AM

If it’s tightened properly, with an oil filter socket, it will not come off.

I’ve seen about 6 come off in 20 years. All clients state that the filter was tightened by hand.

Bullwings 04-18-2024 09:50 AM

https://spiritedmotorsports.com/prod...topper-bracket

$40 insurance for your $10K motor.

ASM makes one for $55 - https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...i1k0HSzIGBKuYo

All the other ones run $100+.

I got the Tegiwa knock-off version for $30 way back in 2011.

B serious 04-18-2024 10:03 AM

cool story alert....

I bought my 1st S2000 back in 2006 (still have that one). I was a mere boy back then.

I went to do my 1st oil change, and since this was the first "fancy" car I ever bought, I was using all OEM parts to avoid any potential issues. So I bought a filter from the dealer.

I got the parts home and saw a lot of writing on the filter. Being the first time I ever bought a factory filter, I was like, "wtf is all this jibberish and bollacks written on it?"

I read the "torque to 15-18LB-FT or 7/8 turn" thing and was like "wow, these people are specific about something you can clearly just do by hand".

When I attempted 7/8 turn by hand, I realized there's no way anyone except maybe a rhinocerous-gorilla-hybrid-human could do it.

So I used a strap wrench.

Then I calculated the force required to reach 15-18LB FT and 100% for sure knew that nobody on this planet could do it by hand. And if that person existed, their arm alone wouldn't even fit in a S2000.

I also realized that 18LB-FT was quite a bit beyond 7/8 turn and I should buy the right tool.

So I eventually bought a tool to actually set the torque.

Later, I started tracking the car, and some guy in the paddock came up to me and was like, "these cars are junk. I keep seeing people have engine fires and losing all their oil"

I didn't immediately make the link because, as I said, I was a mere boy. But I did make the link that evening on the drive home. "I bet people aren't doing the 7/8 turn thing and their filters are flying off!".

For some reason, I figured people were all like me. Like....if I were to read an instruction from the OEM which seems unusual, so I'd follow it because like...why would they make such a big deal about telling you to do it some special way if there was no special reason?

I asked people if they were torquing filters, and for 10+ years, they would slap the books out of my hand and call me a nerd. I was like, "that's probably why there's so many engine fire instances". But everyone insisted their wrists were strong. Probably from all the wrist rockets they were shooting.

Slowly enough, more and more people got the word.

Today, I'm glad that the majority recognize the requirement. But I know there's still people who think hand tight is fine.

What a strange world. Its printed right there on the damn filter. You can hold it in your hand and read it....

So that's my story of 18 years of suffering.

engifineer 04-18-2024 10:03 AM

a clamp, safety wire and a spring is even less though :D Dont get me started on what people pay for oil catch can setups with flashy, blingy covers on them! But I know, some really want that underhood bling for the car shows. I like mine to look nice but that kinda stuff is 100% function only for me.

engifineer 04-18-2024 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by B serious (Post 25059871)
cool story alert....

I bought my 1st S2000 back in 2006 (still have that one). I was a mere boy back then.

I went to do my 1st oil change, and since this was the first "fancy" car I ever bought, I was using all OEM parts to avoid any potential issues. So I bought a filter from the dealer.

I got the parts home and saw a lot of writing on the filter. Being the first time I ever bought a factory filter, I was like, "wtf is all this jibberish and bollacks written on it?"

I read the "torque to 15-18LB-FT or 7/8 turn" thing and was like "wow, these people are specific about something you can clearly just do by hand".

When I attempted 7/8 turn by hand, I realized there's no way anyone except maybe a rhinocerous-gorilla-hybrid-human could do it.

So I used a strap wrench.

I started tracking the car, and some guy was like, "these cars are junk. I keep seeing people have engine fires and losing all their oil"

I didn't immediately make the link because, as I said, I was a mere boy. But I did make the link that evening on the drive home. "I bet people aren't doing the 7/8 turn thing".

For some reason, I figured people were all like me. Like....if I were to read an instruction from the OEM which seems unusual, so I'd follow it because like...why would they make such a big deal about telling you to do it some special way if there was no special reason?

I asked people if they were torquing filters, and for 10+ years, they would slap the books out of my hand and call me a nerd. I was like, "that's probably why there's so many engine fire instances". But everyone insisted their wrists were strong. Probably from all the wrist rockets they were shooting.

Slowly enough, more and more people got the word.

Today, I'm glad that the majority recognize the requirement. But I know there's still people who think hand tight is fine.

What a strange world. Its printed right there on the damn filter. You can hold it in your hand and read it....

So that's my story of 18 years of suffering.

Pretty much same here with this car. Have wrenched on cars since I was a kid helping out at my dads shop, but immediately saw that on the filter on the S2k when removing the old one and thought "huh this one may need to be done differently" and followed the instructions after realizing how hard it would be to do that by hand.

I guess I can understand if someone bought a car with a non oem filter and then replaces with another non oem filter. But when they are told otherwise and they continue to argue, that kinda baffles me.

Car Analogy 04-18-2024 12:39 PM

My story. I'm old. Been wrenching for 45 years. When I got the S, I researched a lot before doing anything, because I knew the car was special, and would have some special requirements.

I read about using OEM filter. The correct one. But nothing anywhere mentioned torquing it down. When I got the filter, I paid strict attention to the part number, but I didn't even notice the stuff written on it. All filters have stuff written on them, and none of it ever means anything important, if you already know what you're doing.

So I just treated this filter like any other. I thought the secret sauce was the filter itself. Turns out I was getting no benefit from using it.

The very moment I saw someone mention the instructions on filter and need to torque it, I bought the Lisle filter socket, and redid torque soon as it arrived.

I felt a bit stupid not recognizing the filters special design was that it allowed torquing it. Not something the filter accomplishes passively.

So I sympathize with those that don't know this is so important. But I'm baffled by those that, once they find out, deny its importance. They'd rather live on the edge and in denial, just so they don't have to bear feeling stupid? Then repeatedly double down, and try to drag others down with them.