S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

driveline noise/rattle/ or vibration?

Old 03-29-2006, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driveline noise/rattle/ or vibration?

I can easily duplicate this noise while holding the brake and slowly releasing the clutch to drop the rpms down , it almost sounds like an exaust rattle. I have had this car on the lift numerous times. It seems like something is loose inside trans, during normal driving while taking off in first gear as the rpm dips the noise shows up. And it always coincides with the shake or movement of the motor/trans. at a low rpm. Nothing is hitting,loose, or vibrating.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:28 AM

I have the same problems after the SPEC Stage 1 clutch install, I'd like to know more...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this car makes a lot of noises that are normal. consider you are sitting RIGHT NEXT to the transmission, you're going to hear a lot more than a normal car. IMO I wouldn't worry about it. you could be experiencing the clutch buzz. what year is your car.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:07 AM

whats up yall...
i've been researching the archives, trying to find out what is going on with this "rattle/grind" noise (it happens in my '02). From everything i've read, it should only happen in MY00-01. evidentally, there are engine vibrations being sent back up through the drivetrain upon decel., and the disengaged gears in the tranny eat up these vibrations, sending your ears a subtle "banging," or "rattling." as for it happening in first gear, can't help you there. i only get the noise cruising w/ top up, upon decel, between 3-4K rpm [usually in 4th]. i find that i can completly avoid it by coasting in neut, or with real careful attention to the throttle as to not let the engine send too much of this "feedback" up through my drivetrain. i hope this helps?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:10 AM

are the techies right about it only happeing in 00-01? again, i have an 02 and have the same symptoms as what was listed on the thread.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

the clutch decel buzz between 3-4k ish rpms is pretty unmistakable, and in my car at least.. really F'n loud.

noise/rattle/ or vibration similar to exhaust rattle, only at low rpm while taking off in 1st doesn't fit any of the symptoms/causes of clutch decel buzz. I can hear the clutch/tranny whirl/rattle a little bit in neutral or in gear, but again.. nothing like an exhaust rattle
Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 AM

nothing really crazy in first gear - you might want to have honda (or a shop with the right diadnostic equipment) run some tests. if you're like me, you had mike @ tire kingdom pull it on the drive up for a look, and the naked eye...it doesn't find sh_t.

oh, and i found that it happenin' in MY00-01 only crap is all bull...there are signs of it in all model years...

look at the 'answer to all your problems solved' topic posted by xviper, 'under the hood' forum...very helpful. sorry for no link.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:35 AM

i would agree with Wisconsin, there are so many more noises and rattles that in the S..i think what you are getting is pretty normal.. I get that same rattling when I put it in first and especially if I still have my foot on the brake or haven't given it enough gas.. as of the decel buzz at 3-4 rpm and usually in 3 or4th gears.. when i first got it, i thought there was somehting wrong, but then thought about it and being that i was sitting right over the transmission, made sense.
hopefullly i make sense
Old 06-01-2006, 09:57 PM

I hear some rattle noises in 1st and reverse around 1k rpm as well. Sometimes its almost like a loud click. After 2k rpm its not an issue. After reading a few threads it sounds normal.....(keeping fingers crossed).
Old 03-01-2007, 06:07 AM

bump for a n old thread. anybody ever figure out what this was? experiencing the same... first and reverse...

Quick Reply: driveline noise/rattle/ or vibration?