S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DTC 66 and VSA Modulator Replacement???

Old 11-03-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC 66 and VSA Modulator Replacement???

Hi Everyone,

I searched and didn't find any similar threads.

Just wanted to run this by everyone as the VSA Modulator is a costly part (Honda list is approximately $2300. Lowest prices online for new OEM Honda from a Honda dealer are a bit over $1500 shipped. The part is backordered and expected back in stock on or about 11/07 from what I've been able to gather.)

This will actually be the first part (other than maintenance-related items of course) that I've ever needed to replace on my S.

My VSA Indicator Light ('VSA') and VSA Activation Indicator Light (exclamation point inside triangle) both came on a few days ago. These were and are the only indicator lights that are on. I was hoping that it could be a simple fix like a Steering Wheel Angle Sensor re-learn (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...light-1068713/). I checked my 2006 FSM and saw that there were a few different suggested fixes based on code(s) thrown and diagnosis.

I had an appointment coming up very soon (yesterday) for a full service to be performed on my S in preparation for sale. (oil and filter; air filter and cabin air filter; fluid replacements- brake, mtf, diff, coolant; routine inspections) Obviously, a lot of these were going to be done early, and I usually do most of my own work, but I feel like it's an important value-added point for the buyer to have a receipt in hand and then be able to drive and enjoy worry-free. Anyway, I added diagnosis of this issue to the list.

The only code thrown was as mentioned in the title of the post- 66. The procedure in the FSM is to clear the code and drive. If the lights come back on, the VSA Modulator is bad and requires replacement. The lights both came back on.

From what I've seen in the FSM, the VSA Modulator is the ABS Modulator as in MY00-05, just with VSA capabilities for MY06+. Apparently, just one 'half' of it can fail, and in my case the VSA 'half' did, leaving the ABS fully functional and therefore not causing brake-related warning light(s) or DTC(s).

Any advice welcome! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CJ2006; 11-03-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:42 PM

I literally just posted my own VSA issue, I'll be tracking yours closely.

Regarding VSA failure modes, did the dealer give you that info?
Old 11-03-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by charlox5
I literally just posted my own VSA issue, I'll be tracking yours closely.

Regarding VSA failure modes, did the dealer give you that info?

Bummer that you're having similar issues also, I'm going to take a look at your post after I send this reply.

By failure modes, do you mean this? "...Apparently, just one 'half' of it can fail, and in my case the VSA 'half' did, leaving the ABS fully functional and therefore not causing brake-related warning light(s) or DTC(s)..." If so, yes, that was what the dealer mechanic told me (an 'A Tech' who's been with Honda for over 30 years), when I asked for clarification as to how the VSA Mondulator could fail and not cause any of the non-VSA-related warning lights to illuminate or codes to be thrown.

I was curious because I read in the FSM that when replacing the VSA Modulator, you need to make sure that the brake and VSA-related lights are all off at the completion of the job. Once he explained it to me and I looked again at the table in the FSM where the different combinations of VSA and brake-related warning lights being off or on are broken down, I could then see that the FSM was indicating this as well, just doing so indirectly.

However, while I can turn a wrench, I'm no Billman, so I'm sure there are others on here who could provide significantly more info than me. Happy to answer any questions I can though.

As far as the tables I'm speaking of, they're all in the 2006 FSM, which is a really well-written and organized document. Certainly one of, if not the best service manuals I've seen for a motorcycle or a car/truck.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

DTC 66 appears to be for a brake line pressure sensor. I've logged this to go as high as almost 9MPa after really standing on it with the engine on. I would try to do the same to see if you can get any reading from it at all.

Or I guess just buy a used one on ebay for $100.

There's one for each of you. Though you'll have to fight over who gets the CR one, lol.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-09-HOND...pVXqNL&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-HONDA-S...ZVu-U~&vxp=mtr

Last edited by shind3; 11-04-2016 at 08:15 PM.