S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

dyno comparison

Old 06-17-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno comparison

Ok. I typed in dyno comparison and couldn't find what I was looking for so I thought I would post up. I am sure this has been discussed before but for any newbie to the dyno world this will be an easy search title.

The question at hand is what dynos produce what results.

dynopack
dynojet
mustang dyno

These are the familiar names to me at the moment but what else is out there and what results do they give. I know that as long as you dyno with the same dyno you can check the gains correctly but what if you go to a couple dyno days and get different results? What would be the norm between a mustang dyno and the dynojet or the dynojet from the dynopack or whatever else may be out there? The reason why I am asking also is that my car will be dynoed on a dynopack and I am curious how those results may vary from someone with brand X.

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DynoJet - a non-load bearing dyno. More or less the dyno "standard" when people think about power output. Typically what most magazines and manufacturers use.

Dynapak - a dyno made in New Zealand. The wheels of the car are removed and the hubs are connected directly to the dyno. Water can be run through the dyno to increase the load and to cool it down. The number are typically higher than a Dynojet and the differences in the torque plot are exaggerated.

Mustang - a load bearing dyno. A great tuning tool because the car is put under load to simulate the effects of driving on the street. Can do 1/4 times usually within a tenth of the actual track results. Typically reads about 15% lower than a Dynojet.

Dyno Dynamics - another load bearing dyno. Excellent for tuning for the same reason as shown above for the Mustang. You can essentially tune your timing and fuel maps cell by cell because the car can be held at a constant rpm and manifold pressure. Has a "shootout" mode than gives you a very close estimate of the power at the flywheel. Typically reads about 15% lower than a Dynojet.

There are other dynos out there, but these are really the four most common. I've used every type, and I tend to prefer the Mustang and Dyno Dynamics for their tuning ability. A number is a number and as long as you use the same type of dyno for each tuning session, you're on track. You can't compare numbers across dynos because of the different characteristics.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dynapack is a load bearing dyno as well, and is more controllable and precise due to the elimination of the tire/roller interface, which introduces additional variables.

It appears the newer Dynapacks are also calibrated to read lower (read closer to a dynojet). I just bought my second unit and noticed this. The percentage differences between the dynos are somewhat difficult to nail down, depending upon load times in particular.

In terms of flexibility and tuning versatility, nothing short of an engine dyno matches the Dynapack (and the similar Rototest from Sweden). This is because these two types of dyno are more directly connected to the engine than traditional roller dynos.

I agree that as long as you stick with the same dyno, and a good operator, you'll be just fine.

UL