S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ECT sensor issue(CEL)

Old 04-11-2015, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT sensor issue(CEL)

Hey guys, I have a slight cooling issue. Or let's hope it's slight.
I have a MY06, with around 83k miles, purchased with 51k on the clock.
About a month ago, I noticed the temperature begin to rise when at a stop, and quickly went back down when in motion.
The next day I started the car up and let it idle up to operating temp, and it continued to rise. The fans kicked on beyond the regular op temp and then shut off before it had cooled and continued to stay off. The car was well on it's way to overheating so I shut it off. Decided that I would replace the fan switch or ECT sensor as I learned it was also called.
I opted to go the upgrade route and use the Spoon fan switch.
Now I was and still am under the impression that this is the sensor located on the radiator itself.
Upon attempt of installation of this Spoon ECT sensor, I came to find that the connector for the switch was not the same.
The sensor and connector that were pulled from the car are square-ish connectors where as the Spoon item as well as the OEM item are round connectors.
This led me to two parts desks at two Honda dealers that both told me that someone, at some point probably spliced in that other sensor and connector. I was the shown the other sensor, which I believe goes on the block somewhere? That is a square green connector but with a thread size much to small to go into the radiator slot.
Upon their advice I decided to see if I could find a pig tail so simply splice the proper connector. Luckily I found such a thing. And 30 bucks and two days later I spliced it in and voila, a CEL awaited me.
I let the car come up to operating temp and the fans did indeed turn on, and the car did not overheat.
So it was really a success minus the CEL.
I plugged in my simple scanner and it pulled a P2184 and P2185. Which are ECT sensor high voltage circuit or something along those lines.

Which finally brings me to the question, is this a problem relative to the switch itself, to the splice that I did, to the thermostat or anything else.
And is it simply the wrong sensor? There was no evidence of a splice and more and more I feel like I didn't need to hack up that wiring.

I've read that at some point the wiring/connector were changed but was not able to find any actual info on it or even a photo.
Any help is appreciated if I can give any more information or left something out please just let me know and I will fill in the blank.
Thanks guys!
Old 04-11-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for some help!