S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine making tapping noise!

Old 10-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine making tapping noise!

hey all,

Just bought my s2k around 3 weeks ago, its a 2000 model with 65 thou on the clock.

Last night i got home after driving home from a mates place and heard a tapping noise, i popped the bonnet and confirmed that the sound was infact coming from the engine area. The sound can be heard from inside the car when its idling, and seems to increase in frequency as the car is revved.

The tapping noise is like someone tapping on a wooden door, and the noise occurs evenly - tap tap tap tap tap.

I took it to honda this morning and its booked in for tmrw. They confirmed 'it is not good' and they will need to remove the engine cover or whatever its called and have a look and adjust some 'tappets'.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm really pissed because i just bought this car and the clutch master cylinder got replaced about a week ago and now this. Will the warranty cover even cover this problem? How expensive could the repairs get? i thought s2k's were sick with a bulletproof engine....maybe i just bought a lemon.

would appreciate some feedback!

thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

f20c IS sick. if the owner don't treat it right, it doesn't matter how good the engine is...
Old 10-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

i paid very good money for this car and bought it from a dealer so i'd get a warranty. I have treated this car well since i bought it, i'm unsure if the previous owner did now; i guess i know why people like to buy cars brand new now!

I've been reading some other threads regarding tapping noises and it doesn't look good. I just bought this car about 3 weeks ago so honda better repair the damage because none of it was my doing.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope the dealer used the proper diagnostic tools (like a stethoscope) to determine that the tapping noise is coming from under the valve cover. Another thing that has such a symptom is the cam chain tensioner. This has been reported as well. It would be a shame for them to crack open your valve cover, do the valve adjustment, only to discover the tapping is still there.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

its booked in for tmrw morning. I'll let you guys know what happens - hopefully its something trivial.........

wish me luck!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:45 PM

Sounds like your valves need adjusting. If so it's not a big deal.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:05 PM

hope its not a rod knock.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Banned

i'm shitting myself i hope its nothing bad. I only have a standard warranty; which i believe only covers up to $1000 AUD per claim......i imagine any sort of engine internal issues would run over this limit! Anyone know what a new engine is going for in AUD?

Just dropped $40K AUD on this car and 3 weeks later getting this bullshit. Very dissapointed.......i went for a new as possible car with as little km's as possible to avoid this crap!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it really does sound like it is just the valves that need adjustment. If the clearance is off, the cam followers will impact the top of the valve, creating a tap sound.

I doubt you are in the "blown motor" category.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just serviced a friend's car that had a strong tapping sound coming from the top end of the engine. I was concerned because I performed a valve adjustment on his car about a 6 weeks ago. It turns out that one of his spark plugs (Denso Irridium) had failed. The ceramic part of the plug had come loose from the surrounding metal jacket. This allowed combustion chamber gasses to leak out of the head causing some burning to the coil pack. Fortunately, when we replaced the spark plugs (NGK copper, temporarily) the noise disappeared and the car now runs just fine.

I'm not saying that's why your car is tapping, but it's something else to investigate.

Quick Reply: Engine making tapping noise!