S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ENGINE REBUILD

Old 03-11-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ENGINE REBUILD

my ap1 engine started dropping oil pressure. pulled the motor the trust bearing failed. im going to do a stock straight forward rebuild so I have a dependable car for the summer. my question is I've been looking for crank bearings it appears there are only two sizes standard or .10 over depending on the crank its this correct? also any other advise or things to look out for as im rebuild I would appreciate the help thanks
Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

The only right way to do the bearings is to get color coded from honda.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cleenyc99
my ap1 engine started dropping oil pressure. pulled the motor the trust bearing failed. im going to do a stock straight forward rebuild so I have a dependable car for the summer. my question is I've been looking for crank bearings it appears there are only two sizes standard or .10 over depending on the crank its this correct? also any other advise or things to look out for as im rebuild I would appreciate the help thanks
are you asking about crank main bearings, or thrust washers?
Old 03-11-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

+1 billman. The clearances are tiny, there are marks on the block crank and rods, they tell you what bearings to get. It's the only way to really maintain the proper clearance on parts.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by cleenyc99' timestamp='1426090476' post='23535884
are you asking about crank main bearings, or thrust washers?
I was talking about main bearings but also need to no about thrust washers to. do you guys have a wright up on the color codes? chart or pdf work shop manual I really appreciate the help
Old 03-11-2015, 10:23 AM

sorry if this info is on here somewhere I just haven't found it yet
Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 AM

You need to pick up a Honda factory service manual. How familiar are you with this engine? You're aware, for example, that this block requires special honing tools? Have you used plastigauge before?
Old 03-11-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
You need to pick up a Honda factory service manual. How familiar are you with this engine? You're aware, for example, that this block requires special honing tools? Have you used plastigauge before?
not familiar at all. grate info thank you. I have rebuilt a lot of American motors tho so I no the general idea but this is the kind of help I was looking for. I took the motor out at the fist sign of the oil light. so only a little metal in the pan. I wasn't going to hone the clys of even remove the pistons. just a new crank and bearings. thank you
Old 03-11-2015, 11:41 AM

I haven't rebuilt one of these motors yet (and I hope to never have to), but on the Honda B series engines bearing replacement is no simple task. Assuming you don't do any work to the crank, you'll need to buy the correct bearing colors based on the stamps on the crank & block, then install everything and plastigauge it to ensure clearances are correct. Then you'll probably have to buy a few more bearings and do it all over again to confirm the clearances are correct. It is very far from a "just slap them in and go" proposition.

Get that factory service manual, read the process a few times, and come back with any questions you have. Hopefully someone smarter than me will be able to help you when you get there.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:13 PM

cool thank you guys

Quick Reply: ENGINE REBUILD