S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine ticking noise need help! video inside

Old 05-07-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine ticking noise need help! video inside

Hi guys,

I have had an annoying engine ticking noise for a long time, maybe more than a year and 10k miles. During the time I have had this noise, I have tried several times to trouble shot this noise but had no luck.

So this week I have decided I have to figure this out. I tried valve adjustment (engine sit overnight), sand blasting TCT fix, pulled all the heat shield from the manifold, pulled the aux belt and run the engine, pull injector plug one at a time to listen. All of these didn't indicate where the problem is from.

The ticking noise seems to come from the exhaust side of the engine, and is very noticeable when I'm standing on either side of the car with hood closed. I did a lot of research and only found one post have almost the same ticking noise as mine, and looks like that member didn't end up figuring it out.

This is the post that had similar noise as mine: The post

Could this noise come from the exhaust manifold? Btw the car is close to all stock except a test pipe. I'm going to take some video and upload it later.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 PM

here are the videos:

[media]http://youtu.be/jCldHGjHuAE[/media]

Here is a video of the engine bay:

[media]http://youtu.be/H-n_-YrGcGU[/media]

Any input is appreciated!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by shing
here are the videos:

How many miles and have you ever run low on oil? Is the noise relative to engine speed and can you hear it when driving by walls?I have have the same noise from my S (MY02 w/ 104k) for over a year and I have done many of the same procedures to fine the source. I'm starting to believe it's just the nature of the engine. I have tried a billman TCT. I even pulled the pan to to inspect my cylinder walls and rod bearings; the latter I replaced because they were a little worn, but not alarming. The noise does seem to be more pronounced than other times ( maybe just me). My last guess is to look for a stretched timing chain/ worn chain guides and double check the valves. I wouldn't stress about it, the car should be fine. Good luck and report back if you find anything.

P.s. When I pulled the oil pan I didn't see any metal pieces from a bearings or anything, but I did fine a small tan/orange piece that was 1mm x2 mm; I have pondered what it could be... I can only think of one thing, the timing chain guides.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by DontWreckIt
Originally Posted by shing' timestamp='1399496847' post='23149101
here are the videos:

How many miles and have you ever run low on oil? Is the noise relative to engine speed and can you hear it when driving by walls?I have have the same noise from my S (MY02 w/ 104k) for over a year and I have done many of the same procedures to fine the source. I'm starting to believe it's just the nature of the engine. I have tried a billman TCT. I even pulled the pan to to inspect my cylinder walls and rod bearings; the latter I replaced because they were a little worn, but not alarming. The noise does seem to be more pronounced than other times ( maybe just me). My last guess is to look for a stretched timing chain/ worn chain guides and double check the valves. I wouldn't stress about it, the car should be fine. Good luck and report back if you find anything.

P.s. When I pulled the oil pan I didn't see any metal pieces from a bearings or anything, but I did fine a small tan/orange piece that was 1mm x2 mm; I have pondered what it could be... I can only think of one thing, the timing chain guides.

MY2002. I bought this car about 2 years ago with 55000 miles and car now has 71000 miles. I have never run low on oil on this car but have no idea of the previous history of the car. I can hear it fairly clearly when in a resonated environment (underground garage, by walls). The frequency of the noise is relative to engine speed but the noise doesn't change its tone or sound level with engine speed.

I'm not too worried about the noise. Just want to know what is this noise all about. Sometimes when I have a very busy schedule I would forget it but then once in a while when I'm sort of free then I would start all over again to try to figure it out. Driving me crazy
Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

Combination of valve-train and injector noise and very mild piston slap. Sorry to say, but after 70k ish miles your cylinders are no longer round, don't worry the motor still has PLENTY of life left in it and it's a "normal" noise. The noise will always be present in these cars(AP1's), it's a byproduct of how the engines were assembled. Just keep up your maintenance and drive her.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Combination of valve-train and injector noise and very mild piston slap. Sorry to say, but after 70k ish miles your cylinders are no longer round, don't worry the motor still has PLENTY of life left in it and it's a "normal" noise. The noise will always be present in these cars(AP1's), it's a byproduct of how the engines were assembled. Just keep up your maintenance and drive her.
This sounds terrible! I did some quick research on this and seems like the noise is more noticeable when the engine is cold. For my case, the noise is more noticeable when the engine is warm.

Can you quickly describe what noise is the "piston slap" noise?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the video you posted I hear nothing wrong. The F20/22 have a loud valve train and the injectors are rather noisy as well. Everything seemed completely normal IMO. A little ticking is fine
Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine sounds similar. Also a 2002, 92k miles. I thought something was up but others have said its not TCT and is a "normal" sound. The good thing is I can only really hear it when driving when the top is up, A/C off, and stereo off...which is basically never.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by shing
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101' timestamp='1399514162' post='23149571
This sounds terrible! I did some quick research on this and seems like the noise is more noticeable when the engine is cold. For my case, the noise is more noticeable when the engine is warm.

Can you quickly describe what noise is the "piston slap" noise?
They're all happening microseconds apart so it's hard to pin it down. It's simply the way these engines sound, don't get me wrong they'll keep running strong for 250,000 miles. But as the miles pile on they'll just consume more oil as it gets past the rings because of the shape of the worn cylinder sleeves. This will happen even if you maintain it well, nothing lasts forever. But in the mean time enjoy the next 150,000+ miles and by then either rebuild, get an F22, or sell the car, or just live with adding a quart every 1k miles.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 670 Likes on 423 Posts

Sounds normal to me.

Quick Reply: Engine ticking noise need help! video inside