S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS Issues!

Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS Issues!

Hi guys,

I usually don't post much, just read the forums everyday. Anyways, wanted to share whats going on with my 03 s2000 so if anyone else has these issues maybe we can figure this crap out. I been searching the forums like a madman lol still cant figure it out! Really don't want to take to dealer to get ripped a new one....

So..... my EPS light came on out of the blue overnight last night (no power steering) and wont go off. I have a 03 s2000 since 2003 it has 43k miles, only work done is a Cold Air intake and slightly wider tires. Thats it! I put the intake and tires on back in 04 and haven't touched car since, except for hardtop. Car runs great. So after reading countless stuff online i started checking everything. I checked all wires for power going to EPS computer by battery and checked power by the steering, checked all fuses for EPS and everything is good. I checked the ecu with a snap on diagnostic but picked up no eps codes even tho it was on the dash lit up. Sooo i did the paper clip trick and it flashed the codes on the dash ............I got 02-31-32-37 rotating

EPS codes -

DTC: 1 Power relay stuck ON
DTC: 2 Fail-safe relay stuck ON
DTC: 3 LOW FET(Motor drive transistor)stuck ON
DTC: 4 UP FET(Motor drive transistor)stuck ON
DTC: 5 Open to body ground in the motor circuit
DTC: 11 Difference of high voltage and lower voltage on the torque sensor
DTC: 12 A problem with voltage for torque sensor VT3
DTC: 13 A problem with average of voltage for torque sensor VT1 and VT2
DTC: 14 Open or short to body ground in the torque sensor circuit
DTC: 21 A problem with the voltage for lG1
DTC: 22 Excessive change of the vehicle speed sensor signal
----------A problem with average for vehicle speed and engine speed
DTC: 23 A problem with the circuit for engine speed signal
DTC: 30 A problem with the sub-microcomputer
DTC: 31 A problem with the initial current sensor offset
DTC: 32 A problem with the main current sensor offset
DTC: 33 A problem with the current sensor
DTC: 34 A problem with the main microcomputer
DTC: 35 A problem with the sub-microcomputer
DTC: 36 A problem with the change of the motor voltage
DTC: 37 A problem with the motor voltage

In the repair manual i followed all steps and it seems to lean towards a new eps computer.

Some strange things happened during all this. After removing the eps box and re installing, the light went out and power steering kicked back in! Now get this....if you tapped the box very light with a screwdriver or anything, the wheel would jump slightly then bammmm light back on and u lose power steering. I did this numerous times and light always went off then came back on within about a minute or two after re install. So something is setting it off. Oh i also checked battery and voltage etc. and everything was strong. So, now light is on and i have no power steering. Im gonna see if i can find someone who will swap Eps boxes with mine to test or just order a used one. What u guys think ...Torque Sensor? Eps computer? or steering rack? where should i start?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I would bet that the EPS controller is bad. That is based on the fact that if you remove and reinstall it, then hit it with a screw driver it fails.

I would post a help wanted in your regional forum and see if anyone will swap it controllers for an hour or two to verify it. I think I have a spare I could sell if you need it. It is known good.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Thanks man....I think im gonna start with the EPS...Very weird when i was messing around with it you could tap it and wheel would jump lol Then after a few taps the light would stay on and you would lose the steering. Now its not doing anything, its just stuck on. But for that short time it did work so im assuming its not the steering motor. It has to be a sensor or some relay in that EPS box. Ill see if i can get a swap this week, if not maybe ill take that one off your hands.

Im not sure if its plug n play, if u swap EPS units. Do u have to reset anything or shud it just work? I only read about the Torque sensor re-learn but I think u have to clear the codes before it lets you do that. hmmm
Old 10-17-2011, 05:38 AM

All you have to do is the toqure sensor neutral position learn proces.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 PM

If you tap the box and it affects its functionality then probably has something loose inside. Check for battery ground continuity between the box and battery negative or try opening the box to see if something is loose.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 PM

I checked continuity.....I even opened up the box itself and tried to get circuit board out with no luck, didn't want to break it. The light is stuck on now, even tapping the box does nothing. I will keep you guys updated....I'm trying to find someone to swap over weekend. I mean all the EPS codes lead towards replacing the box so....Hopefully its just the EPS unit.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:50 AM

I had the same problem and it ended up being the EPS Control Module. Best bet is to swap with somebody and see if that fixes it. Keep us updated for those who are having similiar issues. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which pins did you connect with the paper clip to do the EPS light blinking trick? and can you briefly go over the protocol you used to get the blinking procedure?

and have you checked the battery? i've read if the voltage is off, the EPS will act up.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Hey guys whats up! Sorry took so long. I finally ordered a new EPS computer and installed today. The light went out and all is perfect. I didn't even do the re-learn, works great now. So glad to have the steering back lol

Ps: Got one off Ebay for 69 bucks used. If your having the same issues, I suggest you try that first since it was a cheap fix YAYYYYYYYY LOL
Old 12-15-2011, 07:55 PM

Ou still need to do the relearn. Trust me.

Quick Reply: EPS Issues!