S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS Light comes on unless engine started with steering in full lock

Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS Light comes on unless engine started with steering in full lock

Hi Guys,

I have a little problem with the EPS light coming on and having no power steering unless the engine is started with the steering in full lock. I don't have any DTC's. Any ideas?

Thanks, Nick

FIXED... SEE LAST POST!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by nicholasbartleet
Hi Guys,

I have a little problem with the EPS light coming on and having no power steering unless the engine is started with the steering in full lock. I don't have any DTC's. Any ideas?

Thanks, Nick

Actually, just checked and the car doesn't have to be on full lock, as long as the steering is under load when you turnover the engine. So basically if you pull the steering wheel either way whileturning over, no eps light and power steering. If you leave the steering wheel alone, eps light and no power steering (no DTC fault code)
Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 AM

sounds like the torque sensor is going bad, there is a step by step on resetting it in the Honda manual (the real one)its something like turn the wheel one way 45 degrees and then turn it the other way and do something else i just cant remember it all but i am sure you can find it online somewhere.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by xyster
sounds like the torque sensor is going bad, there is a step by step on resetting it in the Honda manual (the real one)its something like turn the wheel one way 45 degrees and then turn it the other way and do something else i just cant remember it all but i am sure you can find it online somewhere.
Thanks for the advice. I had come across this in my searches, however i'm pretty sure we don't have an SCS circuit in the UK on out OBDII Ports. I remember trying to short the scs circuit years ago and ended with some sparks and a blow fuse.

This is the procedure, but i'm sure it won't work on a UK car. I don't have a UK workshop manual to check, only a US one:

Here is the procedure.

With the car off, and the wheel straight do the following

1. Using a paper clip or backprobes, connect PIN 9 to PIN 4 on the ODBII connector.
2. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left
3. Turn the ignition switch on (II)
4. The EPS Light will be on for 4 seconds, when it goes out do step 5
5. Turn the steering wheel Straight, and release
6. The EPS Light will turn on in 4 seconds, when it goes out do step 7
7. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left
8. The EPS Light will be on for 4 seconds, when it goes out do step 9
9. Turn the steering wheel Straight, and release

now the EPS light will blink twice after you relase the wheel, within 4 seconds. then it will blink 5 times.

If the EPS light stays on, you will have to do this process again.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The process would work, you just need to find the right ciruct. For that, it will take a service manual and the electronic troubleshooting manual (ETM). There has yo be a way the dealers in the UK to pro form this task.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
The process would work, you just need to find the right ciruct. For that, it will take a service manual and the electronic troubleshooting manual (ETM). There has yo be a way the dealers in the UK to pro form this task.
Thanks Stratocaster,
I'm a bit stuffed then because i don't know anyone with a UK service manual.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 AM

I found the scs connector. Its underneath the steering wheel. When i short it, the EPS light starts flashing with 3 long blinks and 7 short blinks. I have tried the relearn procedure but i'm guessing the UK procedure is different, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all.

Any advice would be very helpful from UK owners.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by nicholasbartleet
Originally Posted by Stratocaster' timestamp='1313767433' post='20893862
I found the scs connector. Its underneath the steering wheel. When i short it, the EPS light starts flashing with 3 long blinks and 7 short blinks. I have tried the relearn procedure but i'm guessing the UK procedure is different, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all.

Any advice would be very helpful from UK owners.
Did the relearn procedure and finally got the hang of it. It works and the eps light switches off, until the ignition is turned back on and it pops back up. I'm guessing the Steering torque sensor is fooked.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to have the steering wheel needs to be turned before you turn the car on. if it is not, it will just blink the codes. The code you have, 37 (3 long blinks and 7 short blinks) is described as "A problem with the motor voltage"

DTC 37: Motor Voltage

1. check the EPS (70 A) fuse in the auxiliary under the hood fuse box.

Is the fuse OK? Yes go to step 2 If No, replace the fuse and recheck

2. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector C (2P) and terminal No. 1 and body ground.

Is there continuity? Yes, Go to step 3, if No Repair open in the wire between the EPS control unit and body ground (G351)

3. Disconnect EPS control unit connector A (2P) and the motor 2P connector

4. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector A (2P terminal No. 2 and motor 2P connector terminal No. 1

Is there continuity? Yes, Go to step 5, if No Repair open in the RED wire between the EPS control unit and the motor

5. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector A (2P) terminal No.1 and the motor 2P connector terminal No.2

Is there continuity? Yes, Go to step 6, if No Repair open in the GRN wire between the EPS control unit and the motor

6. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector A (2P) terminal No.1 and body ground.

Is there continuity? Yes, Repair short to body ground in the GRN wire between the EPS control unit and the motor, if No Go to step 7

7. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector A (2P) terminal No.2 and body ground.

Is there continuity? Yes, Repair short to body ground in the RED wire between the EPS control unit and the motor, if No Check for loose EPS control unit connectors. If necessary, substitute a known-good EPS control unit and recheck.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM

You need to have the steering wheel needs to be turned before you turn the car on. if it is not, it will just blink the codes. The code you have, 37 (3 long blinks and 7 short blinks) is described as "A problem with the motor voltage"

DTC 37: Motor Voltage

1. check the EPS (70 A) fuse in the auxiliary under the hood fuse box.

Is the fuse OK? Yes go to step 2 If No, replace the fuse and recheck

2. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector C (2P) and terminal No. 1 and body ground.

Is there continuity? Yes, Go to step 3, if No Repair open in the wire between the EPS control unit and body ground (G351)

3. Disconnect EPS control unit connector A (2P) and the motor 2P connector

4. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector A (2P terminal No. 2 and motor 2P connector terminal No. 1

Is there continuity? Yes, Go to step 5, if No Repair open in the RED wire between the EPS control unit and the motor

5. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector A (2P) terminal No.1 and the motor 2P connector terminal No.2

Is there continuity? Yes, Go to step 6, if No Repair open in the GRN wire between the EPS control unit and the motor

6. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector A (2P) terminal No.1 and body ground.

Is there continuity? Yes, Repair short to body ground in the GRN wire between the EPS control unit and the motor, if No Go to step 7

7. Check for continuity between EPS control unit connector A (2P) terminal No.2 and body ground.

Is there continuity? Yes, Repair short to body ground in the RED wire between the EPS control unit and the motor, if No Check for loose EPS control unit connectors. If necessary, substitute a known-good EPS control unit and recheck.
Thanks for this Stratocaster. It's really good of you to look into this. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Quick Reply: EPS Light comes on unless engine started with steering in full lock