S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Failed DEQ/smog today...

Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed DEQ/smog today...

New member here!

Recently bought my second s2000 about a week ago and I went to get it smogged today. I was failed because their readers couldn’t detect the evap system and the secondary air pump but I don’t have a CEL. My guess is that the second owner deleted them but I don’t even know where to look... I know that the second owner (I am the 4th) put a kpro management in it and was looking for some advice. I’m stuck. Any help appreciated!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:58 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

You should have a USB connector on your ecu, download Kmanager, install it on a laptop and connect it to the ecu.
Get the calibration stored on the ecu and check the settings. If you are unsure share it here and someone could have a look.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

They aren't literally looking for these systems presence. They are looking for the 'Readiness Monitors'.

They just hook up a tool to your odb port, and each emssions system gives a thumbs up or down on if its ready or not. They are get set to not ready if you do an ecu reset (which also clears any stored codes). After an ecu reset, or clearing codes, you have to drive enough, cycles, time, miles, whatever, for that monitor to have a chance to see any issues and throw a code. Once each system is happy it had enough time to look for codes, it turns on its readiness monitor.

On your car, these systems readiness monitors were not set. So assuming you didn't do an ecu reset the day before you went for the test, then these systems are disabled in your ecu tuning.

Question. Is it possible the PO cleared some cel codes hoping they wouldn't show up again on your test drive? Then you still haven't driven enough for these monitors to show ready yet?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
It's under Online -> Set Readiness
I think this has been removed for a few years now.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
They aren't literally looking for these systems presence. They are looking for the 'Readiness Monitors'.

They just hook up a tool to your odb port, and each emssions system gives a thumbs up or down on if its ready or not. They are get set to not ready if you do an ecu reset (which also clears any stored codes). After an ecu reset, or clearing codes, you have to drive enough, cycles, time, miles, whatever, for that monitor to have a chance to see any issues and throw a code. Once each system is happy it had enough time to look for codes, it turns on its readiness monitor.

On your car, these systems readiness monitors were not set. So assuming you didn't do an ecu reset the day before you went for the test, then these systems are disabled in your ecu tuning.

Question. Is it possible the PO cleared some cel codes hoping they wouldn't show up again on your test drive? Then you still haven't driven enough for these monitors to show ready yet?

I’ve had the car for a couple months now and no CEL. It makes sense if the PO disabled the air pump readiness monitor, I guess i’ll have to check it out on Kmanagement
Old 11-20-2018, 06:39 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

How did the former owner(s) pass emissions? Just curious. (Also curious where you're located.)

-- Chuck
Old 11-20-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
How did the former owner(s) pass emissions? Just curious. (Also curious where you're located.)

-- Chuck
I guess I wasn’t trying hard enough, after a couple hours of research I found that there’s an option for “set readiness” on Kmanager. I click that, and it SHOULD solve my problem of the EVAP system and secondary air pump being unsupported. Owners were in AZ and I’m located on OR.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:08 AM

Still didn’t pass. I hooked my laptop up to the ecu and when I go to error codes, evap system and secondary air system are showing up as “Not Supported”. I keep failing because of that. Now my question is how do I get those two to be supported?

Would it be possible to get the evap system and the secondary air system to be supported by getting a new tune?

Would appreciate any help! Thank you!
Old 11-25-2018, 02:35 AM

The k-series ecu that you are using do not support a secondary air injection system so don't think it's possible to get that working.
Evap system I'm not sure why it's not supported because it should be.
Do you got Sec O2, FTP, PA, ELD and Purge system enabled under Misc>Ecu Options?
Old 11-25-2018, 05:00 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

You may never pass with an "off road only" ECU (which is what every non-OE ECU is). OE ECUs for the AP1 (?) S2000 are on Ebay every week and this may be your only alternative. Surprised we only have 10 responses in this thread. Certainly someone has a solution. All I can provide is sympathy.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Failed DEQ/smog today...