S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fellas, I need some help...

Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fellas, I need some help...

Im going to try to hit all the keys points and make it short so I don't kill you guys..

A few months ago, my check engine light came on. Of coarse being the horrible S owner I am, I let it be It wasn't until a few weeks went by that my maintenance required light come on as well. It was then that I decide to check it out...

I know.. should have done it earlier. A good friend of mine (a fellow S owner) helped me diagnose the problem and pin pointed it to be to timing chain tensioner. ******about 137k miles we put the new TCT on*****

The check engine light was still on. A few weeks ago (5k miles later) as I was driving, my check engine light started flashing. I took it into the shop. A few days later I went to pick it up. Of coarse they said it was misfiring and they also said it was running lean. They put in new spark plugs and did a tune up

When I picked it up a got less than a mile away and what you guess what happened.... the check engine light started flashing I had no choice but to take it to school the next day. After class I got in the car I could here and feel the misfire worse than before I took it in. Maybe second time is a charm?

Just picked it up today. They explained to me that they did some more testing on the coils. 3 in all. They said all their resistances should be the same. 1 didnt match so they put a new one in.. annnnnnnnnnnd. Yeah the check engine light is still on... They told me that there were 2 possible causes:

1. I was running the engine hard when it was not to the proper temperature.. which I have never done... I always wait for 3 bars and then some before having some fun and
2. Using regular gas instead of premium.. I have always used premium except for one time... and that one time i did put regular gas in on accident, I drove like a grampa the whole tank of gas

Do these guys seem legit? I think they seem a little shady.. And please any input, experience, and opinions are appreciated.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Let's backtrack. The maintenance required light is simply a mileage based indicator to change your oil. It can be reset manually. This light is not produced by codes stored in the PCM. That would be the check engine light.

How did the TCT cause a code? What code produced the check engine light?
A check engine light flashing means major misfire.

I don't believe 1 nor 2 are probable causes for your concern.

Is your car at a dealership or shop?

You have a major misfire after you replaced the TCT. Are you sure the engine is properly timed? Has anyone produced results for a compression test or leak down test?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The maint required light is just a mileage indicator telling you certain maintenance should be done.

The TCT did not set your CEL.

You should stop driving the car immediately if it is still misfiring.

You need to get it to a good shop to take a look at it, the current shop does not sound to promising.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 PM

TCT has nothing to do with Check engine. If you don't replace your TCT On time and keep on driving while it rattles. your Risking of your engine going kaboom, why?
TCT keeps timing chain tight, Once Timing Chain is flopping around because TCT is failing you can skip Timing on your engine/ BTW S2k is known to have weak TCT
I replaced my 1 year ago now its rattling again.
Maybe your timing Have skipped 1 tooth already that's why its misfiring?
Do you hear any tapping? coming from engine If so I recommend doing Valve Adjustment as it can also cause misfires
at 137k I would do valve adjustment if it was not done yet
From your profile looks like you have AP1. AP1 Valves needs to be adjusted more then AP2 due to weaker design in cylinder head,
I hope this helps

And I would try finding better Mechanic in your area, Someone who works on Sk2 regularly .
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 PM

Uh, I would find a new shop... sounds like these guys are guessing and will just keep throwing parts and money at it until they get it right. Or as long as you let them. Check the coils yourself. Check that your spark plugs are the correct ones and are torqued properly. Reset the ecu. Then you can idle the car and see what, if any codes come back. If you gave access to the reader, you could let us know what the codes are. There are some VERY knowledgeable people on these forums! (More so than most mechanics I have been to).
Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by S2kPowa
AP1 Valves needs to be adjusted more then AP2 due to weaker design in cylinder head,
^^^ LOL! Misinformation at its finest.

Op, the trouble codes stored in the ECU will tell which cylinders are misfiring so there is no need to guess at which coil pack could be bad. You did not explain (or they did not tell you) how they knew it was running lean. You should definately find a new shop.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:07 AM

"
^^^ LOL! Misinformation at its finest. "

Ap1 retainers are weaker then ap2
Thats when I mean by weaker. I typed this like after 12 am midnight. … ..
Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by DeeKay
Let's backtrack. The maintenance required light is simply a mileage based indicator to change your oil. It can be reset manually. This light is not produced by codes stored in the PCM. That would be the check engine light.

How did the TCT cause a code? What code produced the check engine light?
A check engine light flashing means major misfire.

I don't believe 1 nor 2 are probable causes for your concern.

Is your car at a dealership or shop?

You have a major misfire after you replaced the TCT. Are you sure the engine is properly timed? Has anyone produced results for a compression test or leak down test?
CODE LIST GIVEN TO ME BY ADVANCED auto parts before I took it into the shop the first time.

Misfire code......................... P0301-02-03-04
Emission Leak...................... P1456
Variable Valve Timing.......... P1259

I dont know if the TCT caused a code. My friend that helped me said that was the reason for the maintenance required light..
Took it to a private shop. They worked on my brothers Mazda 3S and did a good job, but now Im starting to have some doubt (a lot actually)...
Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 PM

TCT has nothing to do with Check engine. If you don't replace your TCT On time and keep on driving while it rattles. your Risking of your engine going kaboom, why?
TCT keeps timing chain tight, Once Timing Chain is flopping around because TCT is failing you can skip Timing on your engine/ BTW S2k is known to have weak TCT
Do you hear any tapping? coming from engine If so I recommend doing Valve Adjustment as it can also cause misfires
From your profile looks like you have AP1. AP1 Valves needs to be adjusted more then AP2 due to weaker design in cylinder head,
I hope this helps

And I would try finding better Mechanic in your area, Someone who works on Sk2 regularly .

How would I be able to tell if it was skipping a tooth?.. There was a tapping. More like a low thud.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope this helps

Originally Posted by realblag
Originally Posted by S2kPowa' timestamp='1392182679' post='23011542
AP1 Valves needs to be adjusted more then AP2 due to weaker design in cylinder head,
^^^ LOL! Misinformation at its finest.

Op, the trouble codes stored in the ECU will tell which cylinders are misfiring so there is no need to guess at which coil pack could be bad. You did not explain (or they did not tell you) how they knew it was running lean. You should definately find a new shop.

More like internet mechanic at it's finest. S2kPowa- please don't provide mis-information, all it does is cause even more confusion.

"Maybe your timing Have skipped 1 tooth already that's why its misfiring?" NO- Plain and simple. NO. The S2000 WILL NOT RUN on the stock ECU if timing has jumped a tooth.

"AP1 Valves needs to be adjusted more then AP2 due to weaker design in cylinder head" NO- AP1 Valves do not need to be adjusted any more frequently than AP2. The only reason an AP1 would need adjusting "more frequently" is if you have cracked retainers due to the RETAINERS being weaker. But if you have cracked retainers, I damn sure wouldn't keep adjusting them. REPLACE THEM. AP1 uncracked retainers and AP2 retainers will necessitate valve adjustments at roughly the same interval. Period.

Quick Reply: Fellas, I need some help...