S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fluid comparison for Kaaz LSD

Old 09-03-2003, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid comparison for Kaaz LSD

Some of you probably remember me complaining about how fast my Kaaz LSD cooks the Kaaz gear oil. Well, I finally got sick of spending $45/can on Kaaz gear oil and having to change the stuff out after almost every track day. So yesterday I put in a quart of Redline 75-90 gear oil (the one that already has the LSD additives in it). So far, the LSD is performing PERFECTLY and the chattering is basically gone. Generally, fresh Kaaz oil will do the same thing for me, but at three times the cost (or more). I have yet to see if the Redline fluid will hold up better to track use, but even if it doesn't do any better, the price alone makes it a better choice ($7/quart).

I probably won't make it to the track again until October or November, so it will be a while until I can update this thread with post-track feedback, but so far I would say those of you with clutch-pack LSDs should definitely use Redline instead of Kaaz oil.

Next I'll be switching my trans. fluid over to a mix of Redline MT-90 and MTL... I'll post my impression of that to this thread in a couple weeks when I get a chance to work on the car again. Once I change out the trans fluid, I will no longer have any conventional fluids left in my car... Mobil 1 synthetic for engine oil, Motul RBF 600 for brakes and clutch, Redline 75-90 for the diff... oh wait - windshield washer fluid! Any suggestions???
Old 09-03-2003, 09:30 AM

can you further explain chattering? thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 11:11 AM

I`ve always heard good things about the GM Syncromesh stuff.

Ryan
Old 09-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Former Moderator

gm syncromesh is for the tranny, not the diff, and especially not for a kaaz diff, which is clutch based.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:27 AM

Hey Reverend

RT recommends using Kendall for the Kazz. I would trust him and PM him with Q's.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:27 PM

Asura, RT liked that stuff because he wanted the diff to slip so much it would act almost like an open diff. I don't like it like that. I want it to still work as a somewhat aggressive lsd, but not as bad as it gets on old fluid. After the oil gets cooked, the damn thing acts almost like a welded diff. It gets really hard to turn the car - you either have tons of understeer or you induce tons of oversteer (like a go kart).

RazorV3, Chatter is what happens when you have a clutch pack differential that is trying to lock up too much at low speeds. So say you're at a stop sign ready to make a right turn. You turn the wheel a little before you start to move. As you start to move the car, the differential shakes the car around because it's trying too hard to resist letting the drive wheels turn at different speeds. It wants to keep them at the same speed, but in order to turn, they either have to move at different speeds or the tires have to slip. This isn't a problem on a stock Torsen differential. I'm using a Kaaz diff in my car. Kaaz, Cusco, mugen, ATS, and Spoon diffs are all clutch-types so they are prone to chatter.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:53 PM

Not exactly a fluid question but its a Kaaz issue.

I just installed my Kaaz diff, when I took it off the jacks and started rolling out of my driveway, there was loud clunking noises only when accelerating in 1st gear. I figured it was the clutch plates needing to be broken in. So I immediatly went to an open parking lot and did my figure 8's for 30-40 minutes. After the figure 8's, noise was gone. I went home changed the fluid. Now, whenever I drive it for the 1st few minutes when accelarating in corners it makes the loud clunking noises still. But after a few turns and the diff warming up, all is ok.

This is my first Kaaz diff or clutch type diff... is this normal? Or should I break it in again?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by futomame
[B]Not exactly a fluid question but its a Kaaz issue.

I just installed my Kaaz diff, when I took it off the jacks and started rolling out of my driveway, there was loud clunking noises only when accelerating in 1st gear.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:26 PM

Thats what I'm thinking. I tought I broke the diff in pretty good and went over board on the time. After driving home today, its sounds more like "chatter" or rubbing of the clutch packs than clunking.

I figure it will go away through time as it breaks in more. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by futomame
[B]Thats what I'm thinking.

Quick Reply: Fluid comparison for Kaaz LSD