S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

full veilside millenium kit install?

Old 10-14-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default full veilside millenium kit install?

does anyone know how hard it is to install the veilside millenium kit on your own? and then have painted? that would save a lot of money i would think. especially, since i just dropped so much money on the full kit as it is. if anyone has any input at all on the subject please reply. online tutorials would be nice. .pdf's would be nicer. and a guy coming and doing it for me for free would be better. PLEASE HELP!!

-senator
Old 10-14-2002, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Senator,

My advice to you is that if you don't have any hands on experience with body kits, then please leave it to the pros who knows what they are doing. It may cost you bit more but in the end it will save you lots of headaches. There is huge difference with amateur job and really professionally done.

The installation itself doesn't take a genius to figure out but doing it properly the first time requires lots of hands on experience that books and instruction cannot teach.

Go to local import show and ask around the owners of the show cars to see who has done the work and take it from there. It is very hard to find good shop you can trust to do the job right so take time and do some researching.

Generally there is no way to do it cheaply on this unless you have good connection. So prepare to spend and not cut corners.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard, don't try it at home if you haven't done it before...

Check here:

http://www.evolutionautosports.com/veilside.htm
Old 10-15-2002, 06:31 AM

Senator, please don't try and fit it yourself save some more money & let a pro do it, just look at it like this,
1; The car was'nt cheap!!
2; The kit was'nt cheap!!

So don't go down the cheap route for the fitting and painting, as it will turn out all wrong plus if the kit isn't a perfect fit which most of the time there "NOT" (even for veilside) it will probably cost you more to get a pro to fix your cock-up's than it would have done in the first place.
I tried doing stuff like this in the past and trust me it ALWAYS ends up costing you more money now I only go to the best of the best and if I can't afford them then I save for another few months until I can, if you're like me and want it all done yesterday then sorry but tough luck mate.
Andy

p.s I hope you learn't from my mistakes
Old 10-15-2002, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't piss with it. Go to a quality body shop and have them handle it. You don't want it to look like oh so many DIY kits on civics etc.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

senator,

I picked up the kit (minus hood and wing) about a month or two ago, and trust you me, this kit will require a lot of work. The sad part is, Veilside makes some of the best kits out there in terms of minimal amount of needed rework.

The front bumper alone has quite a few issues to fix IF you want it to look like it came from the factory that way. The top front center needs to be shaved a bit because it looks unnaturally high, the headlight portions (especially the passenger side) have too small of holes, so they need to be built up from the inside and shaved down from the outside, etc. etc.

This is not a job you want to tackle alone if you've never done this before, and if you DO get a shop to do it, expect to spend a good deal of money AND time if you want it done correctly. The painting itself will be quick like any other piece, but it's the fitment that's a PITA.

I hate to be one of the crowd that says "You spent $X on the car and $Y on the kit, don't skimp now!", but don't skimp now! Trust me, it's won't be worth it.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:53 PM

and i was going to say "talk to Macgyver" damn you're on top of things..

btw what's your eta? will we see Michelle
Old 10-15-2002, 06:57 PM

how come the body kit is on the car in the primer state? do you paint it after it is installed? i thought you paint it before? or did they just have it on to make sure of the fitment?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:06 PM

fitment and paint color matching...
Old 10-16-2002, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pieces require a lot of the following steps:

1) Test fit the piece
2) Make small modifications
3) Go to step 1

It wouldn't surprise me if we put the front bumper on 20-30 times before the fitment and lines match up (oh yeah, the lines coming down from the pieces just inside the headlights are slightly off, as well....sheesh, this is the BEST kit out there?).

You take it all off, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, etc. clearcoat, sand, clearcoat, etc. Then stand back and look at all of the weekends you put into the kit only to have it creamed by a car backing up two weeks later (I'm hoping to avoid that fate by saying it here...make the car Gods smile upon me).

With the job search still ongoing, and me racing to finish my thesis for this semester, time is tight (layoffs suck!). I might take a day off during this weekend to help Max work on it, and try to do that once a weekend until it's finished....I'm guessing about 4 full days of work to get it ready for painting. You know me, Steve, I'm anal, so this kit is going to look top notch when I'm finished.

Oh, one more thing....since the front/rear bumpers stick out so much, you need to fabricate brackets to keep it from vibrating at speed, something they don't tell you when purchasing the kit That will probably take a good 4-8 hours to get the test fitment and brackets made, but I can do that anytime.

Quick Reply: full veilside millenium kit install?