S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

gas cap..

Old 06-01-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas cap..

ok well, i got a CEL a couple weeks ago and found that my gas cap was loose which was weird because i make sure i always tighten it at least 3 clicks. So last time i filled my gas i made sure i tightened it. Well the CEL came on again and I thought it must definitely be something else becuase i KNOW i tightened it. But as i was in my driveway i smelt a very strong gas smell, so i checked the gas cap and it was loose again. Is this possible? For a gas cap to loosen itself or something like that.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by soozookabluS2k,Jun 1 2006, 01:08 PM
ok well, i got a CEL a couple weeks ago and found that my gas cap was loose which was weird because i make sure i always tighten it at least 3 clicks. So last time i filled my gas i made sure i tightened it. Well the CEL came on again and I thought it must definitely be something else becuase i KNOW i tightened it. But as i was in my driveway i smelt a very strong gas smell, so i checked the gas cap and it was loose again. Is this possible? For a gas cap to loosen itself or something like that.
Is it possible? Obviously, it is!

It's not something I've heard of before but I don't doubt that it's a possibility. I don't know what a new gas cap would cost but I'd "hope" that it's not too much.

Something else comes to mind. I read another post recently, don't remember exactly which or where, but a suggestion was made that there might be a problem with the gas filler tube. If yours is cracked or deformed for some reason, it might be allowing the gas cap to let go? I know, I don't see how that could be either, but it's something else to look into.

Best of luck and let us know what you figure out!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

On many 2002 & early 2003 vehicles, the fuel filler tube was defective. It wasn't shaped right, and over time the gas cap would bind when it clicked, but it the cap wouldn't be completely closed. This happened to me and dozens of others on this site (do a search). I had my gas cap replaced, and several months later the problem recurred.

There is a TSB on the subject. You will find it if you do a search. I took my vehicle in and they replaced it under warranty. Even if your warranty is expired, you want to take your car to the dealer to see if they will change it. This is an emissions issue, and the warranty is longer for emissions items than for other things under their standard warranty.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Former Moderator

4 gas caps before i installed a new filler neck
Old 06-01-2006, 03:35 PM

I've got the same issue.

Ubetit--did you install the fiiller neck yourself? how easy is this?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 281 Posts

Without an actual code, you are guessing if the gas cap is the cause. There are thousands of causes for a CEL, 1 of them is a loose gas cap.

Get the code, then we can point you in the right direction.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:22 PM

Ill get the code pulled but i REALLY hope its not a problem. How much would it be to fix the "filler neck" or w/e would need to be fixed if they didnt want to do it.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:23 AM

hmm.. i just got the cel because my cap wasn't tight. the freakin guy in the gas station has done it before. but here is the weird thing this time. I tightened and heard the 3-4 clicks.. drove another day and cel was still on. so i did it again last night. i took the cap off and put it back on.. i turned it a couple times and got 2-3 clicks, so figured i'd turn it a couple more times.. no clicks until i made 3 full turns then it was completely tight. cel is off this morning. now ii'm wondering if it's this filler neck issue.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace my gas cap as well. I smelled the Fuel before the CEL came on.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EVERY 2002 and early 2003 cars have this problem. Just replacing the gas cap is not the answer. Replacing the fuel filler neck makes it go away permanently.

The TSB is 04-002.

There is an extended warranty period for some emissions-related components, but this isn't one of them (except maybe in CA). I was out of warranty and the dealer did it for me for "goodwill", but I had to tell the dealer about the TSB.

It's very possible Honda will agree to replace it for free because it is known to be a defective part, but that's not assured.

Quick Reply: gas cap..