S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

gearbox/clutch prblems

Old 06-30-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearbox/clutch prblems

Hi Guys, I own a 99 s2000, it has 124k on the odometer and in the last coupe of days iv had trouble shifting gears expecially into first and reverse when i start it up. Its nearly impossible to shift it into gear but when the car warms up it gets easier to put into first gear. As i drive the gear changing gets easier and i noticed that my clutch doesnt feel right aswell. When i push in the clutch it feels looser than usual. normally when i push in the clutch pedal it feels heavy all the way through but now its loose most of the way and and theres pressure only at the near end of it. Kinda like when your breaks are worn out and theres that little bit of pressure left. The gearbox doesnt rev out either to say the clucth is worn but i have no idea, any feedback will be most appreciated thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 11:13 PM

Might just not be getting the disengagement of the clutch, could try adjusting the clutch pedal to allow you a bit more travel...?

Otherwise, when did you change the fluid, what with, etc?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 PM

the car gearbox and clutch were perfect a few days ago but the last 3 days its goton worse, i havent changed the clutch fluid at all since i bought it 6 months ago and dont know how to do it, the gearbox oil is about 10000kms old.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 PM

Check fluid levels etc and if the pad is solid then it should be good... no leaking around the master or slaves etc. The length of time the oil has been in isn't too bad either.... had any harsh launches or selection of gears? how old is the clutch?

My car it's a biatch to get reverse or 1st when cold.... jsut run the car in first from a standstill, depressing clutch couple times, then drive it for 50m or something then swap in to second, usually good for me.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 PM

Sounds too me like your clutch is not fully disengaging hence why your having major trouble shifting into gears until the clutch pads warm up a bit which causes your coefficient of friction to drop giving you enough slippage to disengage and engage your gears.
I'm not professional and I could be wrong, but I'm thinking your pressure plate is shot. That may give you a soft/sinking pedal as well as no/slight clutch disengagement.
124k is ALOT of miles for a 99. Are your miles mainly highway or street?
I'd say get it to a dealership ASAP and get the techs to at least diagnose your issues.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 PM

Guest for 0days and u already have 61.5 PPD average??
You been ALL OVER these boards today haven't you??
Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 PM

its on 124,000 kilometers, the engaging into gear is the problem disengaging is normal its just when its cold on startup to get it into 1st and reverse from neutral.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:06 AM

Still exactly what I said.. Your clutch disk has to be disengaged to properly shift gears. Getting them out is easy. You can pop out of any gear by just pushing the shifter out. Not recommended of course.
Think about it like this... your mainshaft is still spinning inside your gear box because the clutch is not disengaged. Therefor making it very difficult for your shift forks to engage the desired gear.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 AM

The simplest thing I can think of for you to do on your own is start at the source. Have someone get in the car and depress the clutch pedal, get under the car and check the clutch fork and make sure it's actually pushing all the way forward. If it is, I'd say you problem is going deeper then the master cylinder this is where I'm saying I think your pressure plate is shot.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 AM

well i just had a look at the fluid level and it seems to be pretty low, i dont know much about it but yeah, maybe that could be the problem?

Quick Reply: gearbox/clutch prblems