S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Going NA, Spoon + Toda, need technical Help, come on!!!!

Old 02-28-2003, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello folks!!

I am thinking to do this combination of parts and I would like your opinion

-Toda Cams plus Toda Springs
-Spoon Gaskets
-Spoon or Speed Throttle Body
-Spoon Valves
-Pistons (Spoon?) (which brand? I would like to increase compression to 12:5, is possible for a street daily car)
-Toda Header
-Toda Flywheel

Can you please tell me any fear or what should I keep in mind when do this changes

I need help I do not want to blow my engine!!!!! in the firts run

How much HP? 20?

Juan

Thanks for everything
Old 02-28-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have a problem with clearance if you do the spoon gasket and the toda cams(with stock pistons), but if you do the spoon pistons you might be ok since they are custom cut for the valves on the piston top.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:22 AM

if you are looking to use high compression pistons I recommend get the block balanced and blue printed for high endurance abuse. And the head port and polished.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Former Moderator

when doing the spoon gasket you should do valve springs if you do cams to avoid clearance probs. check my "while I have the head off" thread, i'm talking about doing similar stuff.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Your going to need a engine management system that does more than the V-AFC will. E-manage or AEM will be needed to really tune that puppy.

Yes be very very careful about piston to valve clearances. Toda's new grinds are to the point where if they went any more they would touch the cylinder or each other. God those springs better hold up!!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 09:32 AM

has somebody increased the engnie compression?

JDM engine has 11:7 if i am not wrong, could be just enough replace my piston for the JDM pistons?
Old 02-28-2003, 09:34 AM

you may want to think this over before you actually put down the cash on all these parts. it doesn't sound like you really have a clear goal in mind, rather, it looks like your just throwing together some random expensive parts thinking it's going to run smooth and make gobs of power.

there a several issues you need to address first; for instance, why are you going to use Spoon valves? they are OEM valves that are polished and balanced. going with a lighter valve that is thermal coated on the face with a polished neck is going to be more beneficial and will likely cost you less. the same goes for pistons; it seems like you just want Spoon pistons because of the name. Spoon pistons are just balanced factory pistons. my guess is that the pistons are that badly balanced from the factory.

i believe a number of other owners or members can provide additional information that may better answer your questions. from what i've seen my friends do in the past with their money, i'd advise against just randomly choosing internals in hopes of making power.

best regards,

Richard
Old 02-28-2003, 09:57 AM

Thanks Richard!!

that is why I am asking, beause I am not an expert in mechanic and beause here in Spain no one have a clue about honda performance parts, all want I am doing to my car; exhaust, pulleys, header are ilegal if you dealer does not approve it (they are thinking about it in my case).

I choose Spoon pistons because Toda does not make piston and I do not have enough knowlege to ask for a costum piston that is why I am prefer a piston "kit". I saw tohse piston in R&D motorsports web page but not in Spoon page, so I am not very sure If they exist.

Can you tell me who can I ask some questions regarding this thread? Thanks in advance

For example I did not know that spoon valves are oem, I asked to one shop about the difference of this valves and the OEM.. but I did not got any anwser.

Another question: if a 70mm throttle body makes 5 hp extra how much would make is I use a SC or Turbo.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:07 AM

All right.

Here is my suggested upgrade path.

Stage 1)
J's Racing 4.44:1 rear gears. Best mod for the buck.

Stage 2)
Toda cams, valve springs and header plus Greddy E-manage. Might as well get a cold air intake and exhaust while you are at it. You'll need lots of tuning on the Greddy to get things working properly. But you should definitely notice some serious increases in the mid range and top end.

Stage 3)
Contact Shawn (Ultimate Lurker) and get a new head. His head is probably the best out there for an S2000. He can also custom design it to change your compression ratio if you want to.

Stage 4)
Only thing after this stuff that is really worth doing is a 2.3l conversion.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:09 AM

The version 2 Toda cams are 4-6 months away. You might want to see a dyno chart and get feedback on them once they are released. I don't think you want to be the first, do you?

Where did you read that a 70mm TB makes 5HP?

Quick Reply: Going NA, Spoon + Toda, need technical Help, come on!!!!