S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Good set of shock/springs

Old 01-16-2001, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be the best compromise Shock/Spring combo for a daily use S2K that is taken to the track from time to time?

Spoon, Tein RA, Tein RS, Mugen?

If you know price also post it.
Old 01-16-2001, 11:15 AM

I have always heard good things about Teins and I've been impressed by them in the cars I have been in with them. I would have to double check, but I think the RA's are the ones you would want for street driving. If you're interested, I know of a guy that can get them for you. Also, I have heard good things about the Showa's.

Be prepared to spend a solid $2000 on the coilovers and another couple hundred having the car properly aligned and cornerweighed.

For those that don't know, the real reason for coilovers is that you can balance the weight on each tire with coilovers to precisely maximize handling, but it needs to be done on a 4-point scale gizmo with an alignment setup on the car to re-align as adjustments are made. It's a time consuming process.
Old 01-16-2001, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rev,

Where would one find one of these gizmos?

Can anyone who does alignments do this too?
Old 01-16-2001, 11:44 AM

No, there are not very many places that do this. I know there is one in the LA area. If you decide to get a set, lemme know and I'll find out where you can go.
Old 01-16-2001, 12:14 PM

I still have the corner weights from the old GT3 car I used to race so that shouldn't be a problem.

I really like the specs on the Tein's. If I remember correctly Giampiero quoted me $2,300 on the RAs and $2,800 on the RS.

Has anyone seen or hear about the Spoon?
Old 01-16-2001, 12:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am very uncomfortable regarding the best spring rates and damping rates. The Japanese units seem to be biased the same way as the stock Honda units, stiffer in the rear. The European units seem to prefer the bias the other way around.

Aren
Old 01-16-2001, 12:49 PM

This is very true. However, as the S2000 has a near 50/50 weight distribution, you can really use nearly the same spring rates front and rear. Teins are height, dampening, and rebound adjustable. That should be enough to give you the right balance you want. As for spring rates, I believe you can order them with whatever rates you want.
Old 01-16-2001, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B]No, there are not very many places that do this.
Old 01-16-2001, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the weight gizmos you are referring to - are these just the scales that go under each tire and give you a read out as far as pounds, %'s etc? If so, a set of good scales, last time I checked ran anywhere between 750 and 1300, some race shops might have them, but I do say "race" shops, not speed shops.

If this is the case, find out through some of your local SCCA guys - I remember at one super regional meet, they'd weigh your car out, so someone out there has got one. That is...if this is what you are indeed referring to for these adjustments.
Old 01-16-2001, 02:30 PM

Cornerweighing can be done with just four scales to check the weight on each wheel, but to properly balance and align the car (must be done at the same time as changes to one setting will throw all others off) you need a full alignment and weighing rig setup in one. Ask around for cornerweighing and alignment. That should get you in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Good set of shock/springs