S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hard to get in first gear

Old 03-19-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hard to get in first gear

Hey everyone, here is the problem of my baby's tranny.

Sometimes before i aproach to the stop sign, or i am about to make a right turn at signal light without fully stop my car(maintain maybe 5mph to check around for both situations), since the speed was kinda low, when i am trying to shift into first gear, my first gear grinds. this happens more often when speed is higher.

so i dont know what is the problem, it happens probably max 10% of the time(other 90% i could shift into first without any problem), is there something wrong with my tranny, or i should just shift to second gear instead of first at 5mph.

ps. my tranny does not grinds when shift from 1>2 and 2>3, but sometimes it is hard to put into reverse.

thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

It's not really a good thing to throw it into 1st while moving, especially at faster than 5mph, unless you can rev match it well. Either come to a full stop and go into 1st or slip it in 2nd a bit.

How many miles on the car? Try changing the tranny fluid?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:01 PM
bcs

There is a post on here somewhere about the 'proper' way to stop your car. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zer0ne,Mar 19 2010, 10:50 PM
It's not really a good thing to throw it into 1st while moving, especially at faster than 5mph, unless you can rev match it well. Either come to a full stop and go into 1st or slip it in 2nd a bit.

How many miles on the car? Try changing the tranny fluid?
i rev match all the time, i never just let go the clutch.

the car only has 7500 on it n 2 years old, i am about to change the tranny fuild, and maybe try the DIY regrease.

but still wanna know if anyone has the same problem.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by bcs,Mar 19 2010, 11:01 PM
There is a post on here somewhere about the 'proper' way to stop your car. I'll see if I can find it.
that will be nice, i did a little search, but i didnt find it yet, will continue tmr.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by bcs,Mar 20 2010, 01:01 AM

i wouldnt go into first when coming to a stop even if it was 5 mph. just put it in 2nd. when i first go the car sometimes i tried to go to first gear and it grinded and rejected it until i was stopped. im sure any other manual car is the same.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 AM

there is NO first gear lockout, but it certainly feels like it. There are threads discussing this issue, some have said you can double clutch to get whatever things are spinning in the transmission(excuse my lack of knowledge) to stop so that you may be able to engage first while the car is moving.

here are some links, you can search "first gear lockout" and add "xviper" to your search to get xviper's explanation, he explains it really well.

https://www.s2ki.com/search/forums?query=xv...st+gear+lockout
Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone else said, you're not supposed to be shifting into 1st while moving.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:02 AM

Here are some informatiom from Xviper, that might be useful for some people later.

Do NOT force the stick into first while moving. The tranny will tell you when it doesn't want you to do this by making it difficult. This is true of all modern day trannies. A mechanic friend told me that there is a feature in the tranny associated with 1st gear (there is a technical term for it but I can't remember exactly what it is - something about a "lockout plug"). This is to prevent you from ruining your 1st gear synchro. If you must get into first while rolling, learn to double clutch AND rev match so the tranny speeds up to the road speed you are asking it to try to get in sync with. If you do not use this technique, then you must learn at what speed your tranny will allow you to engage 1st gear. This is dependant upon the temp of the tranny at the time. To figure this out, as you slow down toward 1st gear speeds (say at about 10-15 mph on a safe, clear roadway) push in your clutch and let off the gas, move the stick toward 1st gear and when you encounter the resistance, don't force it any farther but maintain firm pressure on the stick into 1st. When you have coasted down to the speed that the tranny deems "reasonable", it will allow the stick to pop into first. It almost feels like it "sucks" it in. Do this when the car is "cold" and when it is "hot". Now you know for future reference. Usually, when I know I'm coming to a complete stop, I won't engage 1st till I'm almost stopped. What you are encountering is not an unusual thing but quite normal. If you keep "ramming" it, sooner or later, it'll go into 1st alright but you'll probably have screwed up the sychro and it'll just grind.

if you really want go into first........ here are 2 methods how you can make it easier. Also from Xviper.

1. Push your clutch to the floor and WAIT about 3 seconds BEFORE moving the stick to 1st.
2. Push clutch in and immediate shift into 2nd (or 4th if more convenient), then to 1st (with clutch on floor the whole time).
I've done this as a matter of habit on every high performance manual car I've owned. It just stops the tranny from spinning to make 1st easier to get into.

Thanks everyone, problem solved. Lucky me that i never forced into first gear, everytime it grinds even a bit i just let go.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

you can do it with a properly completed double clutch downshift procedure. But you have to get it perfectly correct to avoid a grind. Many people don't know how to properly double clutch though. You have to stab the accelerator pretty good to get the rpms up to the right level (approx. 4000)during a double clutch procedure. This is different than rev matching. If you don't get the procedure done right then avoid shifting into 1st.

Quick Reply: Hard to get in first gear