S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Headlight Help

Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Help

So recently my car was involved in an accident that im guessing broke the seal to my headlight. After then i begin to get some condensation in there and after about 2 weeks the HID bulb finally flickered then died. Now, im sure this topic has been covered but i did a search and didnt find much helpful for me.

Following Rick's guide, i took apart the headlight to reseal it. Everything went smoothly (except i got a bunch of the silicone on the outside of the lens ), but it still doesnt work. When i had it apart, i plugged it in and everything but the HID bulb worked. This was when it was still warm so condensation should not have got in the ballast or anything. Well after much frustration i put the thing back together and i think i sealed it well enough because theres no condensation today.

When i had the headlight apart i noticed some of this corrosion looking stuff and wasn't sure if it was normal. So anybody that cleared their headlights, is this normal?
(sorry, don't know how to resize the picture)

Before i dish out a whopping $220 for a new bulb from the stealership, any suggestions?
My main questions are:
A) Is that corrosion looking stuff normal?
B) Any other way to test what the problem may be?
C) Anybody know where i could get the HID bulb cheaper?
D) Any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody that cleared their headlights answer the corrosion question? Please?

I guess i will try and switch the bulbs (once i figure out how to do that) to test if its just the bulb as the problem. I found hondaautomotiveparts.com or something has parts cheap so i would buy the bulb there.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The corrosion is probably the problem. It is on the connector to your ballast. Search for a thread by Billman250 on how to clean-up. But at this point your ballast may be fried.

This is a common problem on headlights with moisture...the water collects at the bottom on the ballast and kills it.

Go on eBay to find another ballast for less money than buying new at the stealership.

You might also test the bulb by putting it in the good headlight. I bet it still works. But if not also look on eBay for a replacement. There are Phillips equivalent bulbs that can be had new for about $50.

The ballast is going to be pricey though even used on eBay.