S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Help: Which Battery should I get (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/help-battery-should-i-get-1169729/)

s2000rebel 03-02-2017 12:46 PM

Help: Which Battery should I get

Hello everyone,
So Im new to the s2k world. I got my 2004 s2k a few months ago. Went o billman and he did a whole tune up and they car is running great.
But last month my battery started dying. It happened 3 times already. For the last month the car has been in my garage waiting out the cold weather.
I dont want to have problems anymore with my battery once the weather gets better. I want to replace the battery. But I dont know which one to get.
My s2k is basically stock but it does have upgraded radio, speakers, sub woofer and a Viper GPS alarm. Money is not really an issue. I just want the best for my baby :-p
Thanks

jyeung528 03-02-2017 12:53 PM

buy the most expensive compatible battery at your local auto store.

jyeung528 03-02-2017 12:54 PM

they're all owned by the same company anyway, probably all manufactured in the same facility in mexico.

s2000rebel 03-02-2017 01:04 PM

local auto store told me they dont have any batteries that fit the car
what do you think of this one?

jyeung528 03-02-2017 01:56 PM

if it's compatible with the s2000, then get it.

jyeung528 03-02-2017 02:00 PM

out of curiosity, since you want the best for your s2000, what motor oil do you use? and tranny and diff fluids?

what tires do you run? do you have aftermarket shock absorbers, if you do which ones did you get?

if billman did your maintenance, i'm guessing you're running mobil 1 for motor and diff fluid, and honda mtf for the tranny.

you could do better using amsoil signature series for your engine, or motul x-cess 5w40, amsoil tranny fluid, and amsoil severe gear for the diff.

cosmomiller 03-02-2017 04:33 PM

Don't get an Optima or some LiPo battery either. Optima has a checkered quality control history as they have moved to Mexico. LiPos have charging issues. Leave those to model RC airplanes and drones.
Go to Costco and get one (keep in mind it will fit but the + and - anode/cathode will be reversed.) You may have to play with the wires to get it to fit. If Costco is out, call a couple of dealers to see if they will give you a deal. Mine did and matched Costco plus they installed it for me. All less than $100. An auto parts store can probably get one to match but you might pay more.

Be careful after jumping the car and letting the alternator recharge your dying battery; it is possible to screw up the rectifier in the alternator which leads to flickering dash lights.

windhund116 03-02-2017 04:56 PM

Also, check the condition of the battery terminal clamps. I changed the positive one on my Element to a solid one, after the original stamped metal one corroded to the point it would no longer clamp tight to the terminal.

Chuck S 03-03-2017 02:42 AM

Local AutoZone slipped a new battery into my car last summer. It was in stock there. Nothing exotic. All the battery really does is start the car and mine wouldn't. Battery test is less than 5 minutes.

-- Chuck

Conedodger 03-03-2017 04:08 AM

I bought a "blemished" battery from the local Interstate Battery Center for my S2000 last year for $45. Interstate batteries are well known to be good quality. Blems are typically batteries with cosmetic damage, (torn label), or returns that tested fine, but can't be resold as new.