S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Help: Which Battery should I get (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/help-battery-should-i-get-1169729/)

windhund116 04-09-2020 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jah2000 (Post 24712668)
I knew it was too good to be true... ordered an OEM battery from Majestic last night ($90 + 16 for core = $106)... this morning they cancelled & refunded the order, "Batteries cannot be shipped as they are hazardous."

I guess I'll be going to a local Honda dealership, Costco or Autozone, lol.

AFAIK, my Autozone Duralast Premium battery was made in Mexico, by Johnson Control factory. Seems to be very well made. :)

Jah2000 04-10-2020 10:52 AM

Autozone batts seem expense at $160-200. Local Honda is only $135-145. I may just go to Honda when I stop being lazy.

2 diff local Costco I've talked to said 51 (non-R) is very uncommon and takes 2 weeks to order (they always stock the 51R though). S2000 isn't even on their system (though it is on their online website).

engifineer 04-10-2020 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 24712673)
Adding my input here, because I will soon get a new battery and maybe this will help some of you:

Things I am considering:
- Car has an aftermarket Viper alarm, it is currently parked outside 100% of the time. Not much choice other than to leave it on.
- It is also a parasitic draw
- I drive it maybe 1 or 2 days out of the week only

So, because it's rarely driven and it sits for days between each drives, couple that with a parasitic draw that absolutely depletes a battery. I don't have a lot of choices other than getting a deep-cycle battery (meant to be fully discharge and recharged again and again, like my situation).

I will be getting an Optima Yellow when this battery won't even jump start anymore, and/or when I get tired of having to jump start it each week.

From all I have seen and heard Optima has gone WAY downhill. I had red tops in two cars that I put in close to the same time about 5-6 years ago. Both daily driven cars. Second winter both started cranking weak and I replaced both within 1.5 years as they were garbage. Niether car had any charging issues are parasitic draw issues. Other batteries before and since were fine. As a matter of fact, the OEM battery that came new in one of the cars lasted 10 years in MN through 10 winters. I started poking around and at the time found lots of people saying the same, that they had great experiences with Optima 10+ years ago and since they have been crap. So those were the last Optimas I bought. Hard to say if they got any better again, but I would research before paying that premium for one.

hapa_dude 04-14-2020 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jah2000 (Post 24713188)
Autozone batts seem expense at $160-200. Local Honda is only $135-145. I may just go to Honda when I stop being lazy.

2 diff local Costco I've talked to said 51 (non-R) is very uncommon and takes 2 weeks to order (they always stock the 51R though). S2000 isn't even on their system (though it is on their online website).

I put in a 51 for a Honda Element from Costco. Cables still reach the terminals.

HarryD 04-14-2020 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jah2000 (Post 24713188)

In CA, the dealership is both a rip-off and constantly crowded, and never really wanting to help with anything warranty related.

Costco is extremely customer-friendly with the warranty swap stuff, but again, always super crowded.

Autozone -- I can walk in and out of in 5 minutes with a new battery. Good warranty and a better use of my time. It ranks last in my preferred choice (Honda > Costco > Autozone) but time is money.

Your mileage may vary.

Say Chi Sin Lo 04-14-2020 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer (Post 24713222)
From all I have seen and heard Optima has gone WAY downhill. I had red tops in two cars that I put in close to the same time about 5-6 years ago. Both daily driven cars. Second winter both started cranking weak and I replaced both within 1.5 years as they were garbage. Niether car had any charging issues are parasitic draw issues. Other batteries before and since were fine. As a matter of fact, the OEM battery that came new in one of the cars lasted 10 years in MN through 10 winters. I started poking around and at the time found lots of people saying the same, that they had great experiences with Optima 10+ years ago and since they have been crap. So those were the last Optimas I bought. Hard to say if they got any better again, but I would research before paying that premium for one.

You aren't the only one that are iffy about Optima. Aside from Optima, what other deep-cycle should I consider?

Jah2000 04-15-2020 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by HarryD (Post 24714986)
In CA, the dealership is both a rip-off and constantly crowded, and never really wanting to help with anything warranty related.

Costco is extremely customer-friendly with the warranty swap stuff, but again, always super crowded.

Autozone -- I can walk in and out of in 5 minutes with a new battery. Good warranty and a better use of my time. It ranks last in my preferred choice (Honda > Costco > Autozone) but time is money.

Your mileage may vary.

I haven't got it yet... but I may just go AAA in the near future... $131, 3 year warranty, another 3 year prorate after that, free at-home install (ie: no need to return core, nor wait in crowds/lines).

HarryD 04-15-2020 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jah2000 (Post 24715413)
I haven't got it yet... but I may just go AAA in the near future... $131, 3 year warranty, another 3 year prorate after that, free at-home install (ie: no need to return core, nor wait in crowds/lines).

Actually yea, you're right. I forgot about this.

My mom woke up to a dead battery in her Accord and I was traveling abroad and worried trying to figure out how to get it fixed for her... and CS/AAA sent a truck out, and diagnosed and swapped her battery out. Easy.

If you already have CS/AAA coverage, definitely go that route! :thumbup: