S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help-rattle

Old 05-22-2003, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-rattle

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had this peticular type of noise.... It sound like it's from the driver's side kick panel or dash pad area, and sounds very thin-sheet metal/ tin-like rattle on decel. IT'S NOT THE TSB FOR THE CLUTCH. It comes out on decel, 4-5k rpms to about 2k rpms.... not everytime, every once in awhile. I noticed i usually happens when at Norm. Opt. Temp, never the 1st few minutes of driving. I have tried insulating a bunch of crap on the underside of the dash, but no luck. However, I tried lubing the pin for the clutch pedal assy with a thick-ass grease, and I haven't heard it in awhile. Don't know if it's gone or whatever.... ooops, forgot, I have an 01... Any help is greatly appreciated....thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several things that you could try:
1. Try lower the sun visor- visor loose
2. Try holding your stick shifter- shifter needs greasing
3. Might be a loose heat shield
4. Try holding the soft top locks- they might be loose.
Do a search on rattle.......

Beroz
Old 05-22-2003, 08:44 AM

beroznikmal-- thanks, but it's defintly not a sun visor, top latches, or shifter... it does sound like a heat shield, more like a Marie Calender's pie tin, really HIGH BUZZING, but forsure inside the car, poss by the foot area or the left side audio controls... It's just every so often on decel only.... I'll keep checking and see if it happens at any other specific time/habits...Thanks... maybe a better description of the sound is a thin alum. sheet, soda can thin vibrating...ZZZZzzzzzzzzz- best way to spell it.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:51 PM

My drivers side wing mirror was loose - that was a pain.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:01 PM

if you have taken you spare tire out recently. Check to see if you tied it down all the way.

check the hood latch put some grease/lubrican't also check the hood prop.

check battery tie down.

check under the hood if you left tools.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:57 AM

Well, thanks guys..... alot of obvious things have been checked, but nothing has been pin pointed. I guess i would need a stethascope/ chassis ear to pin point it. Thanks for the help/opinions.. guess I'll just crank up the radio... Keep on driving and having fun.... safely. Laters...
Old 05-30-2003, 08:54 AM

Hey, just to fill in.... I just drove my friend's s2k, and had the same type of buzz on decel. It is exactly the same, from high rpm to about 2k, sounds like it's from the left side audio controls or vent area. Well anyways, I depressed the clutch pedal slightly, right before the FREEPLAY/engagment and it went away. So I jizzed his clutch pedal pin also. So far it has not been there for the past few days... hopefully it's gone....
Old 05-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Former Moderator

could be a slightly leaky clutch cylinder. I had to replace both my master and slave cyls at about 55k but probably should've done it earlier...i think it contributed to some of my grinding n stuff.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:28 AM

I just recently purchased a 2000 s2000 with 3,000 miles and i have noticed the same vibration/buzz. It most definetly is the heat sheild, I also had this problem on my GSR. I got a 50 cent metal wire tie wrapped around the heat sheild and tightened the bolt and it is gone. Try it out, hey it only costs .50.

Cheers
Old 05-30-2003, 02:57 PM

hey nek'ed dog, no leaks visible, maybe internal? Pedal pressure and return feels good though.... so I'll keep checking.
HS2000- it definitly does sound like a heat shield type of buzz/rattle but all the heat shields are nice n' pretty, and plus it totally sounds like it's from the inside dash area...anyways maybe it was just the pedal pin....but again, I'll keep checking/driving it and see what happens... THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO/SUGGESTIONS guys.. as always, everyone is helpful.

Quick Reply: Help-rattle