S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

High Mileage S2000 Preventative Maintenance

Old 10-16-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage S2000 Preventative Maintenance

Hello all, I posted a few weeks ago on here having just bought a new (to me) '03 S2000 with 187k miles. I have looked over the following thread: (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...replace-first/) extensively and am making a winter project list for maintenance on my car to do during the long winter months in upstate NY. What I am wondering is, besides the items listed in that thread, what other things should I be doing from a preventative standpoint since my car has so many miles and I am not sure what has and hasn't recently been done to it. The dealer supplied me with an extensive car fax with lots of dealer service records but they aren't specific on what was performed and only some of the records were from actual Honda dealers. My first priority is changing out the valve retainers to AP2 style. While I'm at that, would it be beneficial to change valve springs & spring seats? Would it also be a good idea to change out valves? I'm not made of money but I would rather tackle some of these things while I have the car apart for the winter rather than wait until something catastrophic (and must more expensive) happens. At the same time, I don't want to waste time/effort/money on things that aren't likely to fail any time soon. Of the people have experience with high mileage S2000s, what are some common items I can expect to be needing to replace in the near future on my car as it approaches the 200k mile mark? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And I am going to thank everyone in advance for all the awesome DIY threads I have found about the maintenance items that are already on my to-do list!

Edit: I should note that my car is currently entirely stock. I know the previous owner did some auto-crossing with it, which I also plan to do next year.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 AM

My machinic told me to do the valve seals and keepers also while he was changing my retainers to ap2. He said while hes at it, he might as well change those out and they are fairly cheap. I wanted to change what I could without taking off the head. If u plan to take off the head, I would change the valve stems and everything that would wear out as time goes. Obviously a new head gasket while your head is off and id put in some arp head studs in case you ever want to boost the stock block.

Other then that, diff oil change and tranny fluid because you dont know the last time they did that. Im about 150k now but getting there
Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in this topic as well, I just picked up an 02 with 120,000 mi on it. My plan was to pull all the suspension to remove all of the surface rust and repaint with POR15. While I am into the suspension I bought new coilovers, rotors, brakepads, and brakelines. Now I plan on doing all new bushings, balljoints and was toying with the idea of doing new hubs and bearings while I am into it but I am undecided on that at the moment as they seem fine. I am also going to pull all the body panels to make sure the car is as clean underneath as it is on the outside just so I don't have any cancer starting under the bumpers.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Personally, I would just do a compression test, and barring any issues found, I would absolutely not pull the cylinder head. Just replace the retainers with ap2 as you planned, do the valve seals for good measure while you are in there, and leave it alone. Good time to do the valve adjustment too.

Do/check all the things in that excellent, comprehensive stuff for new owners thread, and that is it. Fix anything else beyond that as it makes itself known, but don't fix what ain't broke.

These cars are very reliable. That new owners thread doesn't really need an extra section for high mileage. Do the stuff listed. Drive. Enjoy.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:34 AM

Slightly off topic. POR-15 huh? Just looked that stuff up. Definitely going to be getting my hands on some of that goodness. I'm only at about 80k, nothing but light surface rust. But that sounds like a great product to keep it that way for years to come. Might even make me feel comfortable moving back to the Midwest with the car someday.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Por-15 is well known and loved by those that work on older cars and bikes.

One thing to note, it discolors a little from UV exposure. So if you are doing something for looks, you'll want to topcoat it with a regular paint. Even if its a chassis part that won't vet much light, I suggest coating it if for looks.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 AM

Remove trunk liner and check for rust. Also, check brake lines especially the aluminum ones underneath the car for corrosion.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Do not get POR 15 on your skin! It will take forever to come off!'
Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Yeah Eastwood has POR15 for reasonable prices, thats where I ordered mine from, its pretty easy to apply and I plan on painting over top as well, but its definitely a good preventative thing to do for the price IMO. I also bought some rust encapsulator with a 360 nozzle from them to spray in the rockers just as a precaution. I am going to run a camera inside to see if there is anything starting but atleast this will prevent any from progressing if it is there or starting if it isn't.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

if you pull the head, change the exhaust valve guides to "racing" guides.

i have 210,000 miles on my car. you can expect the wheel bearings to go out, the rubber boot on my prop shaft ripped so i got a driveshaft from thedriveshaftshop.com

the flange nut on my diff came loose, so the bearings may have gotten worn. i may be looking at a new diff soon.

other than that, everything has been fine.

Quick Reply: High Mileage S2000 Preventative Maintenance