S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

hood rattle

Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood rattle

so my front hood rattles at certain rpm's during idle especially when coming to a stop. its pretty noticeable

i was wondering what were the proper torque for the hood bolts as well as how many turns should i keep my hood bump stops at?

i tried playing around with it but i can't seem to get it correct

already checked the official rattle thread and couldn't find any solution to this. anybody have any ideas?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bump stops should be adjusted so the hood is flush with the fenders. If it is the latch that is rattling, try loosening the latch bolts and moving the latch downward a little. This will probably raise the amount of force required to close the hood (drop from a higher height)
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i adjusted the bump stops and tried to make it as flush as possible. as for the hood latch bolts when i took a look at them i wasn't too sure how you would adjust it lower

which one would i look at and how would i adjust it to be "lower"

thanks for your input so far!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To adjust the hood latch height, remove the ac service valve cover in the front of the engine bay (will be a black plastic piece labeled "AC service valve" with 3 plastic screws. Hood latch being the part that holds the hood closed, and pops off when you pull the Hood release lever. By the picture it looks like you're looking at the hood prop. You'll see 3 bolts, 10mm i believe. Loosen each one and you'll be able to raise and lower the hood latch. After you try adjusting it, tighten up the bolts (snug, they have a low torque value)
Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem. I first thought it was my tct acting up as at idle the hood would make a very similar sound. When I pressed on the hood with the engine running, the rattling stops. There is slightly some play on the hood. I'll try doing what was mentioned above but can you go into more detail?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T-SMAC is talking about this piece in your front bumper that hold the hood closed:

Now if you reread what he said it should make more sense.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 AM

^Yeah, once I looked at it it was easy. Adjustment done but I ended up snapping one of those bolts. They're like made of glass. I can see why the torque value on them is so low.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by S2k007
^Yeah, once I looked at it it was easy. Adjustment done but I ended up snapping one of those bolts. They're like made of glass. I can see why the torque value on them is so low.

I have the rattle at idle too, but haven't done this yet. My bolts are rusted as fark, so now I am nervous about breaking the shit....
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 AM

Such a common problem. I got mine to go away but now the hood is a pain in the ass to close. Easiest way to close it after the adjustment is slowly lower it till it touches the latch and the press it down by hand till it clicks. Damn finger prints suck tho.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 PM

I snapped two of the bolts with not much pressure/torque. For those adjusting it, tighten them very gently.

Quick Reply: hood rattle