S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How does a lighter flywheel increase performance ?

Old 01-19-2001, 04:05 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

yeah, that, and I'm laying low in the ECU thread too

I'm very much dig'n this "Under the Hood" section! Enough on the floor mats and shit.
Old 01-19-2001, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be the moons, because I even agree with RT on the launching deal. Lighter flywheel just makes it that much harder to get teh revs sitting where you want them and you just have that much less energy stored to launch with.

Glad you guys like the forum (and I don't blame you for staying out of the suspension thing!). If you have any problems, feel free to drop me a line. I'm new to this moderator thing, but I'll do my best to make everything right.
Old 01-20-2001, 03:43 AM

<<Must be the moons, because I even agree with RT on the launching deal. Lighter flywheel just makes it that much harder to get teh revs sitting where you want them and you just have that much less energy stored to launch with. >>

Geez, I agree too! But I think that the car is not really intended for the dropped clutch launch. Once you're on the roll the flywheel helps the most. On heavy cars with "smallish" motors, some drag racers actually INCREASE the flywheel mass. Which can help the ET and consistency. The launch is improved but the in-gear accel is hurt, a compromise must be selected.

<<Glad you guys like the forum (and I don't blame you for staying out of the suspension thing!). >>

Well in my case, although I understand that subject quite well and have lots of related background and experience, it's not worth the aggravation. I'm sick of getting nasty private emails from folks who turn out to have been profoundly mistaken on basic well understood tech matters in a topic in which I tried to assist. I hope you guys figure out the shock/damper thing. For those lurkers out there I'd suggest NOT relying on the contents of that thread very much. It's loaded with misunderstandings from all or nearly all posters. There are lots of good books on the subject if one cares to look into it though.

Are you the new moderator for the tech section of this message board?

Stan
Old 01-20-2001, 07:04 AM

Hey people-

Good thread.

I don't really know why people have had problems downshifting with this car- the stock flywheel is pretty light as it is.

If you're downshifting around town, you probably are driving fairly slow, at moderate rpms- the heel/toe actions are correspondingly slower too.

If you're downshifting at speed at the track, chances are you're downshifting just at VTEC or slightly below it. The engine revs up faster with a blip than the time it takes for me to shift down smoothly and gently, without abusing the trans.

I've had problems with other cars not dropping the rpms quick enough, but the S2000 does not have that problem. I am also concerned with the negative effect a lighter flywheel would have on the S2000- the unforseen problem of too much power getting to the rear wheels, and breaking them loose under power, especially out of a turn. It's not a trait I'm clamoring for my S2000 to have. For me, there would be too many variables to rebalance to make it worthwhile...
Old 01-21-2001, 07:23 AM

<<There was a quote from someone here, but I deleted that post and the quote as it was certainly not what I consider even remotely appropriate. This is a place for people to share knowledge and learn - not to think they know everything and put others down for disagreeing. E30M3, sorry to edit your post, but I wanted to get the post you quoted from off of here. -The Reverend>>

.......NOTE: the above quote was edited by someone other than myself for some reason. It originally contained a post from a new forum moderator whom I felt was way out of line. I agree that his post was inappropriate BUT wish that it had not been deleted so that others could see what I mean... I added this note after the first edit. My text below seems to be unchanged..............

Are you really a moderator of this online forum? (It's not a newsgroup, there is a difference.) And is this the type of moderating that this forum prefers or encourages? Jay Li was not impressed with the actions of certain people when I emailed him about past matters. Neither were many folks (active posters) who have emailed me in the past. Maybe many on this board are still very young or something. Again, I am surprised that this sort of rhetoric is coming from a forum moderator. I think that it is disruptive and arrogant. I think that when a forum moderator ridicules a poster it hurts the board and discourages posting. And further confirms the general impression expressed to me about them via email.

There are lots of experienced, talented folks out there with tremendous knowledge/experience and an interest in helping others. There are lots of pretenders too. Some of each are on this forum. There are also lots of excellent books on automotive tech subjects which are quite worthwhile. I am happy to email a list of some very good ones to interested parties.

Stan

[Edited by E30M3 on 01-21-2001 at 12:50 PM]
Old 01-21-2001, 10:36 AM
RT

"NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 01-21-2001, 11:30 AM

That's right, baby. No soup for ___.

BTW, for those of you reading, the thing E30M3 said was not about me... It was about the person he originally quoted. It doesn't exactly read properly now, but you get the idea.
Old 01-21-2001, 11:42 AM

Reverend sez...>>There was a quote from someone here, but I deleted that post and the quote as it was certainly not what I consider even remotely appropriate<<

The agreements continue, THANK YOU Reverend!!!

This post may get edited by someone else but while it is up here I will say that the inappropriate post came from another moderator on this forum. Let's Understand It's Surprising to say the least. (Anyone catch it?)

Stan

[Edited by E30M3 on 01-21-2001 at 01:16 PM]
Old 01-21-2001, 01:31 PM

He's not a moderator of this tech forum. I guess he's some kind of moderator, but on this forum, it's just me and trbopwr (spelling?).

BTW, nice acronym :-)
Old 01-21-2001, 09:33 PM
RT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E30M3
[B]L-et's U-nderstand I-t's S-urprising to say the least.

Quick Reply: How does a lighter flywheel increase performance ?