S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Invidia N1 Vs GReddy RS - AP1 S2000

Old 11-24-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts
Question Invidia N1 Vs GReddy RS - AP1 S2000

Yo S2K'ers. Deciding between this Invidia: https://www.ebay.com/itm/INVIDIA-70m...FVE7mF&vxp=mtr or this GReddy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GReddy-Revo...dWk0Si&vxp=mtr
Or dual versions, what do you think?

I like both brands but just wondering if anyone here has either one and can tell me what to expect from each? what do you like, what don't you like, which gives more or less gains on an NA setup, which is better for SC boost, sound quality, drone, personal preference, sentiment I wanna hear it all
I already have an Invidia 60mm TP and stock header.
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2017, 04:50 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

From personal experience in an '02 and '06 the Invidia Q300 is painfully loud inside the car and hearing protection is recommended. Drones horribly between 3000 and 4000 rpm. The Invidia N1 is louder and rumored to induce bleeding from the ears. This what you're looking for? If so get one of the $100 Ebay exhausts. Neither will endear you to any passenger or your neighbors. The stanced Civic guys at the high school, on the other hand will love either!

Without a tune there are only tiny gains to be made with engine bolt-ons. Peak HP really doesn't increase much but mid range can be improved with the VTEC engagement point. Lowering VTEC really helps but takes a knowledgeable tuner to get the fuel tables right. You'll need an aftermarket ECU.

-- Chuck
Old 11-25-2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
From personal experience in an '02 and '06 the Invidia Q300 is painfully loud inside the car and hearing protection is recommended. Drones horribly between 3000 and 4000 rpm. The Invidia N1 is louder and rumored to induce bleeding from the ears. This what you're looking for? If so get one of the $100 Ebay exhausts. Neither will endear you to any passenger or your neighbors. The stanced Civic guys at the high school, on the other hand will love either!

Without a tune there are only tiny gains to be made with engine bolt-ons. Peak HP really doesn't increase much but mid range can be improved with the VTEC engagement point. Lowering VTEC really helps but takes a knowledgeable tuner to get the fuel tables right. You'll need an aftermarket ECU.

-- Chuck
Is it really that loud or that unbearable? I don't want something like that to be honest. I wonder how the GReddy is then?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:32 PM

Do you know if either of these systems come with exhaust silencers (removable tailpipe ones)? Maybe that will help a lot to quieten the sound when I want to?
Old 11-26-2017, 02:07 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Both those systems are going to be ridiculous loud and drone bad.
Those tailpipe bungs (not sure if they are included) do quiet it down significantly but at the same time they will kill performance.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Both those systems are going to be ridiculous loud and drone bad.
Those tailpipe bungs (not sure if they are included) do quiet it down significantly but at the same time they will kill performance.
Oh damn lol. It's not my daily car so I think maybe I wouldn't mind it being too loud but then again going in without any actual experience from another car with either system makes it hard to know what I might be comfortable with. A friend has a J's 70RS titanium on his '06 S2K. It's loud but sounds awesome. Do you reckon the Invidia and GReddy may be as loud as that or softer? I'm guessing since they're stainless they would be a tad bit softer. Also the GReddy is a 75mm whilst the Invidia is 70mm like the J's Racing.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:10 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm only guessing but I think they both would be louder than the J's 70RS.
I would check out Berk or the HKS Hi power singles instead, they are somewhat bearable and both 3".
Old 11-26-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

The Invidia Q300 (the quiet one!) was tested on my 2006 behind a Berk high flow cat in excess of 105dBA with my OSHA certified noise meter. As I mentioned a buddy and I installed Q300 systems and both pulled them within a month as the noise and drone were so painful. He and his wife wore earplugs constantly. My wife just put her fingers in her ears and made painful faces when she thought I wasn't looking. A chainsaw at one meter is about 110dBA for reference.

Interior noise is my main consideration. We both put Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhausts on our cars. Still have a performance sound but not painful. A pair of 600 mile drives 15 months ago resulted in no noise fatigue. Tested just under 95dBA on the same meter.

See if you can get a couple of hours in your buddy's car and judge the noise inside. If you want just noise consider an exhaust cutout. Guy in the neighborhood has a late model Mustang with this. He's the neighborhood AlfaHotel, not me. Don't be that guy.

-- Chuck
Old 11-26-2017, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
I'm only guessing but I think they both would be louder than the J's 70RS.
I would check out Berk or the HKS Hi power singles instead, they are somewhat bearable and both 3".
flanders I actually think u might be right. The J's Racing level of sound I can live with. Must say I'm keen to hear the Invidia or GReddy singles for myself. Interestingly GReddy says theirs had a special resonator that eliminates drone 'common with large diameter single exhausts on S2000s'. HKS Hi Power I would like. Just concerned with best shipping prices since I'm all the way down in South Africa.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The Invidia Q300 (the quiet one!) was tested on my 2006 behind a Berk high flow cat in excess of 105dBA with my OSHA certified noise meter. As I mentioned a buddy and I installed Q300 systems and both pulled them within a month as the noise and drone were so painful. He and his wife wore earplugs constantly. My wife just put her fingers in her ears and made painful faces when she thought I wasn't looking. A chainsaw at one meter is about 110dBA for reference.

Interior noise is my main consideration. We both put Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhausts on our cars. Still have a performance sound but not painful. A pair of 600 mile drives 15 months ago resulted in no noise fatigue. Tested just under 95dBA on the same meter.

See if you can get a couple of hours in your buddy's car and judge the noise inside. If you want just noise consider an exhaust cutout. Guy in the neighborhood has a late model Mustang with this. He's the neighborhood AlfaHotel, not me. Don't be that guy.

-- Chuck
Chuck that Q300 sounded like a killer! Must have been hard living with it. Tanabe is nice, I agree. More tame on the volume side of things. I'll look into it. I do want a wild, very inspirational but not ricey exhaust. 70 or 75mm. I wanna be able to feel comfortable at 4000rpm light throttle on the highway too. But I just don't want something too tame lol. Skunk2 Megapower? Mugen dual exhaust?

Quick Reply: Invidia N1 Vs GReddy RS - AP1 S2000