S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Issues changing gear

Old 01-08-2017, 05:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Issues changing gear

After not driving for a few months. I got back into the car and instantly stalled (not normal for me). Then noticed that the clutch felt weird. I drove a couple of miles with the gears got increasingly difficult to engage. First I checked the clutch master level. This was low and topped up. I pumped the clutch about 50 times and it was starting to feel normal again with bite getting further away from the floor and more resistance. I thought problem solved. I drove and it felt great, after a couple of miles and the same issue started happening again with clutch feeling sloppy. I instantly thought it was leaking. Drove home in second and checked levels. This had not changed. So I pumped clutch again and I was getting normal shifting again. What do you think the problem could be?
Cheers

O and hello to all my fellow s2k owners.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:47 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

You have air in the system. Do a gravity bleed (search the diy). Make sure the MC does not run dry during the bleed process.

Change the fluid while you are at it. Turkey baster out old fluid, wipe dry with paper towel. Add fresh fluid, then start the bleed. Keep adding fluid to MC until fresh stuff comes out bleeder. Don't pump pedal, just let gravity do the work.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:02 AM

OK so I am guessing there is no way of doing this without jacking the Car? If this is the case I will take it to a garage and get it done. If it is only a 10 min job should not cost much.

As a secondary question how would air of got into the System? I don't use the car very often as it is a fair weather car now. Just want to make sure this is a cause and not a symptom.
Thanks for you help.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:12 AM

As a quick thought if the pumping of the clutch is obviously lubricating or pulling the oil through would releasing the cap to let the air out and pumping clutch not also Work?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No, that will not work. The air will not rise to the MC, it must be drawn through. that's why the slave has a bleeder screw.

Low fluid in the MC reservoir can introduce air bubbles into the system.

As far as how it got low...

If the MC is leaking (seals going bad) fluid will be visible in the driver footwell, where the pedal pushrod meets the MC.

If the SC is leaking, there will be fluid in the fork boot.

It's unlikely the lines are leaking unless they were disassembled and reassembled.

If any component is failed, it's less than an hour to fix. They are all very accessible. Most shops charge a min of 1 hour, so the cost shouldn't change.

Pumping the pedal can do a number of things, including forcing air out past weeping seals... But i'd bet one of the two cylinders needs replacement.

Last edited by Spartarus; 01-08-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

A shop isn't going to gravity bleed. They'll either do a two man pump, open bleeder, close bleeder sequence, or use a power bleeder. Neither will work as well as gravity bleeding on this car.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Projectfocus
OK so I am guessing there is no way of doing this without jacking the Car? If this is the case I will take it to a garage and get it done. If it is only a 10 min job should not cost much.

As a secondary question how would air of got into the System? I don't use the car very often as it is a fair weather car now. Just want to make sure this is a cause and not a symptom.
Thanks for you help.

u need a bleed for wat ur saying. While u r in there change ur fluid to oem Honda if it already is not or ATE super good.
If clutch still feels sticky take off ur slave and check the rod pin. Pretty sure it's gana be dirty. Clean it. Polish it. Grease it. Will feel new.