S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

J's racing engine damper prob's

Old 08-28-2003, 09:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts
Default J's racing engine damper prob's

I ordered a J's racing Engine damper from BPT on the recent group buy. I did not get the STB combo, Just the damper and heat shield. Unfortunately, the install has not gone so smoothly. My first problem was the heat shield that does not fit with a Toda header. Not a real big deal, the stock shield fits fine. When I tried attach the damper, the bolt holes to the brackets will not line up. I have adjusted the damper all the way in, but it is still to long. The last issue have is the AC lines are directly in the way of the damper. I know that they where going to have to move "slightly" from Vapors2k original post, But I'm not going to bend them 3" out of the way. If the mount on the shock tower side was approx. 1" lower, the damper would fit with no problem. Has anyone on the GB had these problems? I would have posted on the GB thread, but it is now closed.

I can still make it work, I have a friend with a TIG welder and plenty of steel. I just wish I didn't have to. Sorry no pictures, I'll see If I can post some soon.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello slow,
I did encounter similar issues.... I also have the toda headers.....I have installed the damper and did not have to move the anything around. Instead of installing the mount attached to the engine straight up, I installed it slightly angled.......so in other words... if your facing the engine from the passengers side the top of the damper mount will no longer be at 12 o clock but it will be a 10/11 o clock......Hope this helps......
BEroz
Old 08-29-2003, 04:18 PM
Former Moderator

Thanks for the input Beroz. I didn't try to angle the bracket on the Cyl head, I see what I can do tonight. I'm most likely going to have a new section welded onto the mount to lower the damper. Then I will not have to alter the AC lines.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhhh....it looks like this toy is not going to fit on top of the Vortech SC mounting hardware.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a little innovation anything can fit
Old 08-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Former Moderator

Seeing how poorly it fits my car without the Vortech, I'm certain I could make it work with it.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Former Moderator

Seeing how badly the J's damper fit, I had one of my friends with a TIG welder add 1.5" to the mount. He also filled in the old mounting hole. I then redrilled a new 10mm hole approx. 1" below the old one in order for the damper to clear the AC lines without bending them. I had to repaint the bracket to cover up the welded joint. I also added a 6x1.0 rivnut in the top of the bracket so I could reuse the fuse box mounting bolt. This is how the damper bracket should be made in the first place. When I finally got everything together, I found that the shifter vibration has been reduced, especially while cruising on the interstate. I haven't driven it long enough to determine if it has help eliminate missed shifts. With the engine running you can definitely see the damper working. Every time the engine is revved you can see the damper compress.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Former Moderator

Here's a few more pictures
Old 09-06-2003, 11:12 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

nice solution Slow, thanks for sharing. I will probably follow your example.

It sucks that it fits so poorly out of the box.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt have any fitment issues with the damper. But it could be cause I got the STB/damper combo. The damper clears the a/c lines but the damper sleeve barely touchs them.

Dustin

Quick Reply: J's racing engine damper prob's