S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Key coded to ECU

Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

Be prepared for them to tell you no, and maybe even laugh at you.

The keys are programmed with a scan tool that is connected to a DLC connector in the car. Without a functioning data connection the won't be able to program anything. That means the dealer would have to sort through your wiring mess, and try and power up the components like they were in a car. In no way is what you want a simple key programming.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already have the components wired with power and I can see codes and also voltage at different points. Yes the entire S2000 harness looks like crap there on the floor but even I am getting to know it so it shouldn't be a big deal to the Honda tech.

I could probably throw it in the back of my car hooked up to a battery and all he needs to do is plug in and turn the key. I can go get a beer if he needs to do some secret Honda voodoo or something with his programmer.

If he laughs me out of there then I will know why people are buying expensive aftermarket set ups. I really don't see anything wrong with running the stock system especially since I'm not racing this old car.

I know I am not the first to run this stock set up on a car other than a S2000. I read on the forum about the guy in the lotus that did basically the same thing as I am doing so I just need to find a cooperative tech at Honda and then I can go back to fabricating the other parts.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had to use my car to get several ecus and keys reprogrammed for friends. The Honda system won't work unless you have a fully functional car.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Nov 10 2009, 12:11 PM
I've had to use my car to get several ecus and keys reprogrammed for friends. The Honda system won't work unless you have a fully functional car.
So what is the secret? Do you just have to have every plug on the harness connected so the ECU and immobilizer are happy?

This is getting ridiculous. Maybe I can track down the lotus guy or someone else who has put a stock S2000 motor successfully into another car. Were they just lucky?

My back up is using my wife’s first year S2000 to reprogram with but will that work with my 2006 S2000 parts? I have very little room for error with this option and can not bastardize any component or harness in her car just to get my project going for obvious reasons.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Nov 10 2009, 12:11 PM
Wildncrazy back in 2004 you said:

"It is a very simple process to transplant the engine and ecu into your kit. The only thing is that you will have to use the Honda key (the immobilizer stays intact) unless you want to use the Mugen ecu"

"Unless you are just wanting to try another computer don't waste your time. It is easy to use the stock ecu and little to be gained by not using it, other than a lot of work and a lot of money."

So are you saying that is possible to put the stock S2000 motor and ecu into my car or not?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have reprogrammed keys with a cars wiring loom laid out on the ground and connected to power.

The only thing that catches out the service guys, is the last question on the reprogramming workflow asks them to start the car to confirm correct operation of the key. This completely stumped the tech, till I suggested we just answer yes anyway.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by chris_barry,Nov 10 2009, 07:35 PM
I have reprogrammed keys with a cars wiring loom laid out on the ground and connected to power.

The only thing that catches out the service guys, is the last question on the reprogramming workflow asks them to start the car to confirm correct operation of the key. This completely stumped the tech, till I suggested we just answer yes anyway.
Bingo! Now we are getting somewhere!

I owe you at least 1 Fosters.

Now I just need to confirm tomorrow if my switch and key from another car can be made to work with the ecu, immobilizer and motor from a 2006 S2000. I'm trusting the guy I bought the parts from - that these parts all came from the same 2006.

Do you think I might have a compatibility issue that will not allow the reprogram or should I just drag the stuff to the dealer and go for it?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghia man,Nov 10 2009, 09:07 PM
Wildncrazy back in 2004 you said:

"It is a very simple process to transplant the engine and ecu into your kit. The only thing is that you will have to use the Honda key (the immobilizer stays intact) unless you want to use the Mugen ecu"

"Unless you are just wanting to try another computer don't waste your time. It is easy to use the stock ecu and little to be gained by not using it, other than a lot of work and a lot of money."

So are you saying that is possible to put the stock S2000 motor and ecu into my car or not?
That is correct IF you have a key and ecu that match.

That's why I've used my car as a guinea pig and matched several keys to ecus so they could be transplanted into kit cars.

Every dealer I've found in the Dallas Fort Worth area has flat out refused to reprogram a key to an ecu without a car. They swear a car with all working sensors is required. They know me by now and know I'm not stealing cars and they still say it can't be done as the computer system won't accept the ecu and allow it to be reprogrammed.

If it can be done without a car I'd really like to know how much of the wiring harness you have to have to get the computer system to accept the ecu and reprogram it.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 AM

"If it can be done without a car I'd really like to know how much of the wiring harness you have to have to get the computer system to accept the ecu and reprogram it."

Chris Barry above said he has done it with just a wire harness.

So I know my key and ignition switch do not match the ecu. Can I buy another key from the dealer to match the ecu before the reprogramming? I already have a 2003 key and am about to buy one from the same year as my ecu if that helps any.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a key reader that matches the ECU and wiring loom you have.

I help build and support F20C powered Lotus replicas and I always seem to have someone who has a US loom and engine, JDM ECU, Ebay keys, Australian lock barrel/key reader and a stack of missing relays/fuse boxes etc from the loom. The chances of getting this working in or out of the car is nil due to subtle differences for each of the markets.

It is possible to get the ECU reprogrammed with just a wiring loom. If you don't have confidence in the completeness of your wiring I would try to use another car to program the keys into your ECU.

Just get a non-chipped key cut to suit the mule, then tape your key back to back with the simple key, and plug your ECU in place of the cars ECU.

Quick Reply: Key coded to ECU