S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Keyless trunk popper works, trunk switch inside doesn't

Old 07-09-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Keyless trunk popper works, trunk switch inside doesn't

For a while now, my switch inside to pop the trunk hasn't been working. The fob/keyless trunk popper works perfectly. I have researched on this website. I tore down the loom on the drivers side of the trunk arm, all wires are intact. Inspected fuse 26, checked fine. Looking through my HELMS manual and I am hitting a wall. I've tested the trunk popping switch and it passes.

I replaced the entire soft top and frame. During the install and swap, all worked. It's been a while but I believe the interior trunk switch worked even after the top install.

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and experience.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9KEVERYDAY
For a while now, my switch inside to pop the trunk hasn't been working. The fob/keyless trunk popper works perfectly. I have researched on this website. I tore down the loom on the drivers side of the trunk arm, all wires are intact. Inspected fuse 26, checked fine. Looking through my HELMS manual and I am hitting a wall. I've tested the trunk popping switch and it passes.

I replaced the entire soft top and frame. During the install and swap, all worked. It's been a while but I believe the interior trunk switch worked even after the top install.

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and experience.
I can't offer much guidance on this unfortunately, but mine stopped working after I put my Walbro 450 in, but I can open it from the fob with no issue. I'm not sure how the button in the glovebox actuates the trunk release, but I did notice a cable that runs through the area where the fuel pump is, and I'm wondering if mine didn't get kinked or mis-routed in the process of putting the new fuel pump in. I'm curious if anyone else has any insight into this, it's not a critical issue for me but if it's a simple fix it'd be nice to have it working again.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

It seems most likely the glovebox switch connector has become unplugged, as a result of spft top install.

Either it was never plugged in at all, or not plugged securely and has since fallen off.

Keep using fob until you can find an excuse to remove panels to plug it back in.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
It seems most likely the glovebox switch connector has become unplugged, as a result of spft top install.

Either it was never plugged in at all, or not plugged securely and has since fallen off.

Keep using fob until you can find an excuse to remove panels to plug it back in.
Beyond the connector in the glovebox, is there another to check that you are aware of? The one in the glovebox is tightly clipped in place. Removed and reinstalled , still no change.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Problems with the trunk unlocking can often be found in the condition of the wire bundle leading from the latch to the inside of the car. Take a close look where it makes the turn between the lid and the trunk. Constant flexing will cause the wires to break, short, and fail.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

IF it works 100% with the key fob, I would suspect the switch itself or the wiring connected to it. As mentioned in some posts above I would start there.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Problems with the trunk unlocking can often be found in the condition of the wire bundle leading from the latch to the inside of the car. Take a close look where it makes the turn between the lid and the trunk. Constant flexing will cause the wires to break, short, and fail.
Originally Posted by engifineer
IF it works 100% with the key fob, I would suspect the switch itself or the wiring connected to it. As mentioned in some posts above I would start there.
Come on guys, beyond the "wiring connected to the switch", I checked and mentioned in the first post that I have already looked into those. You guys are better than that. Even still, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I wish I had more to offer. When I read the recent suggestion to look at trunk wiring, my thoughts were Dhuh, sure its a common issue, but not if it works perfectly 100% of time from fob, and only interior trunk switch isn't working...

But then I thought who knows if for some weird reason the interior switch and fob switch don't both unlock in the same manner using the same wires into trunk. It would indeed be a weird design, but since its so easy to check the trunk wiring, it would be worth ruling it out at this point.

My personal troubleshooting approach os when you reach the point where things don't make sense, its worth looking at things that don't make sense. Often the result is discovering something completely unexpected that adds a new, important clue, that opens a new path which ultimately reveals the solution.

When things get weird you gotta get weird...
The following users liked this post:
9KEVERYDAY (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 PM

I appreciate all input Car analogy! I've let it go for a while because I assumed it was the wiring, but when I noticed how clean and completing together it was, it shot that idea right in the foot. After checking the trunk switch in the glovebox, it was perfectly fine, I checked the fuses visually speaking, those all looked good. I am going to get under there with a test light and triple check.

While replacing the top, I did my best to ensure all wires were out of the way before bolting things down. At the end of the day we are all human and possible that I caught a wire. Gonna have to do more digging. Most likely have to remove the drivers side hoop and plastics. Then the inner door plastics to the ECU. Fairly short wiring path so hopefully it will be an easy find.

The HELM has a wiring diagram with the trunk switch and the key fob. To me, it looked like, if there was a break in the wiring, the fob wouldn't work either. But it works 100% of the time. Crazy.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by 9KEVERYDAY
Come on guys, beyond the "wiring connected to the switch", I checked and mentioned in the first post that I have already looked into those. You guys are better than that. Even still, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
I was surprised I missed that; I was speed reading from last to first. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Keyless trunk popper works, trunk switch inside doesn't