S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Light street flywheel?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Light street flywheel?

What have you guys found to be the best streetable lightweight flywheel to use?

Yes, I know that you can use practically any flywheel if you're willing to work at it, but I'm wanting one that doesn't require a huge effort on the drivers part.

The engine is an '04 2.2 mated to an '02 transmission and the car isn't an S2000.

I am mating the full suspension, engine & transmission to a 1977 280Z which will make it be about 400 lbs. lighter than the S - I think. I figure the lighter weight car will make up for some of the issues with a lighter flywheel.

The car will be used for street, autocross and a few track days.

I've done some research and found a wide variety of weights and construction types, and I seem to remember that a few years back many were having trouble with a particular brand, but I couldn't find those posts anymore.

While I have a few weeks before I must order, I'd rather order earlier rather than later.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

When people have issues with light flywheels it is usually when they run them with aftermarket pressure plates with higher clamping force vs. oem setups. That makes them tricky to launch. I have an ACT Pro-lite ( approx. 8.6 lbs ?), and I find it as easy to drive as the oem piece. It only took me one launch to get used to it. I combined the flywheel with an oem clutch disc and oem pressure plate. If I was going with an aftermarket disc and pressure plate I might have avoided the lighter flywheel as my car is street driven only. But I love my setup and it works well for me with no complaints.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 PM

Thanks for responding. I'm going to use the OEM clutch, but I was wondering about the pressure plate. I was thinking I'd need a higher clamping force. That's what I did on my Miata was the lighter flywheel and heavy duty pressure plate.

Any suggestions on the best place to shop for the flywheel? If it's like the rest of the S parts I've bought then there will be a huge difference in price.

I remember that a couple of years ago there was one particular brand giving everyone grief, but it seems like it was a 2 piece flywheel with a steel contact area. How long have you had yours on your car?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Science of speed lightweight flywheel is actually really really good quality.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Thanks dantediss, I'll really really call them and check it out.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

i've been using the prolite flywheel on a couple of my cars and it's great. no complaints here.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 AM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy
Thanks for responding. I'm going to use the OEM clutch, but I was wondering about the pressure plate. I was thinking I'd need a higher clamping force. That's what I did on my Miata was the lighter flywheel and heavy duty pressure plate.

Any suggestions on the best place to shop for the flywheel? If it's like the rest of the S parts I've bought then there will be a huge difference in price.

I remember that a couple of years ago there was one particular brand giving everyone grief, but it seems like it was a 2 piece flywheel with a steel contact area. How long have you had yours on your car?
I've run my setup for just over one year. I shy'd away from aluminum flywheels, I prefer chromoly flys, the aluminum ones will probably work fine on this car but my personal preference is to stick with chromoly flys.

Unless you have plans to increase engine torque substantially a higher clamping force pressure plate is of no value, and some of them can increase crank-walk and cause long term damage if not selected carefully.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
When people have issues with light flywheels it is usually when they run them with aftermarket pressure plates with higher clamping force vs. oem setups. That makes them tricky to launch. I have an ACT Pro-lite ( approx. 8.6 lbs ?), and I find it as easy to drive as the oem piece. It only took me one launch to get used to it. I combined the flywheel with an oem clutch disc and oem pressure plate. If I was going with an aftermarket disc and pressure plate I might have avoided the lighter flywheel as my car is street driven only. But I love my setup and it works well for me with no complaints.
I'm running a very similar setup to yours. It's the exedy clutch kit (oem replacement) with the act prolite flywheel. As for the flywheel, it's perfect for street driving. It takes no time to get used to and the motor revs so freely. My particular set up buzzes and chatters sooo loudly though. It's especially bad at low speeds with light throttle and it's just super unbearable on deceleration. Even when I'm in neutral and idling the clutch buzzes, when I disengage the clutch while idling and neutral the noose goes away. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced that with this set up?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 1,226 Likes on 754 Posts

My customers have, and it has always been related to the Exedy disc.

An oem disc will cure it I assure you 100%.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 AM

I just saw your post in the other thread regarding the exedy kit an other 'oem replacement' kits. I will have to swap it out because the noise is just really unbearable. Especially in the winter when the top is always up.

Quick Reply: Light street flywheel?