S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lost keys, what now?

Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost keys, what now?

Well, I somehow sucessfully have lost my 2 set of S2000 keys, the only set that remains is the valet set that is sitting in the car

Any idea how to handle this? dealership wise, new set of keys, programmed to immobilizer, etc?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:29 AM

Unhappy

Its expensive you need to call a locksmith that has the ability to reset the key recognizer and reprogram to a new set of keys that need to be ordered. Plus you need to buy a honda learning key its red, this key will reset all the instruments that look for a specific code found in the original keys. Talk to the dealer they will get you squared away. good luck with that, i did the very same thing to a 00' prelude and it ended up costing me a little over 400 bucks becuase the locksmith has to come to you. I wasnt able to drive the car for about two weeks while waiting for the special learning key from japan. sucks. GL
Old 06-21-2005, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take your velet key and drive to the dealership. show them your registration (proof of ownership) and pay $100.00 for a new key
Old 06-21-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass,Jun 21 2005, 11:29 AM
Just take your velet key and drive to the dealership. show them your registration (proof of ownership) and pay $100.00 for a new key
Why do you need to call a locksmith when you have a valet key? And that whole business about a "red" key and resetting the instrument panel is all new to me. In fact, as far as I know, you drive the car to the dealer, the dealer finds out what the immobilizer code is, order up a key with that same code, cut the key and you're in business. OR, they order up any key code, cut the key and tell the immobilizer to accept it.
The immobilizer system can accept up to 6 key codes and it will take one new key code without re-programming all keys.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jun 21 2005, 11:50 AM
Why do you need to call a locksmith when you have a valet key? And that whole business about a "red" key and resetting the instrument panel is all new to me. In fact, as far as I know, you drive the car to the dealer, the dealer finds out what the immobilizer code is, order up a key with that same code, cut the key and you're in business. OR, they order up any key code, cut the key and tell the immobilizer to accept it.
The immobilizer system can accept up to 6 key codes and it will take one new key code without re-programming all keys.
They do need the key code that comes on a little white piece of plastic when you get the car. If you don't have that, I don't know what they have to do...

I just got my 05 and they didn't have the 2nd key. I have to go in on Sat to get the new key and I believe they have to initialize it with the immobilizer some how...
Old 06-21-2005, 11:55 AM

Unhappy

... It may be different with our S's but on my prelude i didn't have any keys at all. Honda told me that there were like 185 different codes that the car could have programed and would take that many keys to figure it out trial and error process. Yet even with the key cut correctly the code would have to match on top of that. I had to buy this "learning key" its a reset key that allows you to start the car twice before it no longer works and resets all programing for the key recognizer. Then i had a locksmith come with a code machine that plugged in. He had to do a couple numerous weird start shut-off, gas pedal pushes, brake pedal pushes, and all this programed the car to learn the new key code. The new key then starts the car and becomes the new start code. But like I said this was on a 00' prelude and may have changed since. FYI. sorry if I was mistakin', and yes if you have a valet key just take it to the dealer they can fix for cheaper than i had to pay, i just needed a locksmith or a tow-truck to move the vehicle.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jun 21 2005, 11:59 AM
They do need the key code that comes on a little white piece of plastic when you get the car. If you don't have that, I don't know what they have to do...

I just got my 05 and they didn't have the 2nd key. I have to go in on Sat to get the new key and I believe they have to initialize it with the immobilizer some how...
That little white piece of plastic only makes it easier for them to figure out the same code that you have currently. If you don't have it, they simply order new keys with any code and program the code so the immobolizer will accept it. I believe they use their fancy version of a PGM tester to do it.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 279 Posts

There are several incorrect facts in this thread, let's start with the "Red" key.

The Red "learning" key was only used on early immobilizer Hondas.( 98 Prelude, 96 RL) This system operates differently from the system on the S2000.

There is no red key, and never will be, so don't go looking for one. If you do have a Red key(on the previously mentioned models) Don't try to start the car with it. You will render all the keys inoperable.

The "white piece of plastic" is what the Radio anti-theft code is on. The key code to cut a key is on a metal tag with the original key ring. Most people don't get this in a used car, very few get it with a new car.

Programming a newly cut ket can be done several ways. Either by using the Honda scan tool to add a key for the immobilzer system, or by some key machines that allow electronic "cloning" of an existing immobilzer key.

Not all dealers or locksmiths can electronically duplicate the transponder key.

If you lock your key in the car, call a locksmith to get the car open. Then take your last existing key and have some more made, so you don't have to call them again.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:05 PM

I have made several keys recently and all you have to do is take a key that works and they (dealership) will cut it to match and program it to the key you already have. i paid $35 for the key and programming, but it will most likely cost more else where (CA charges $100 or so). Also in the past had to have a new key program because the car didn't have any keys and basically the parts dept. cuts the key and service guy programs in less than 5 min, but charge 1/2 of service.

good luck!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SxM5,Jun 22 2005, 02:05 AM
I have made several keys recently and all you have to do is take a key that works and they (dealership) will cut it to match and program it to the key you already have. i paid $35 for the key and programming, but it will most likely cost more else where (CA charges $100 or so). Also in the past had to have a new key program because the car didn't have any keys and basically the parts dept. cuts the key and service guy programs in less than 5 min, but charge 1/2 of service.

good luck!
As long as the dealer has a duplication/cloning machine, and you have at least 1 working key you can do this.

Quick Reply: Lost keys, what now?