S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud snap from rear wheels today

Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud snap from rear wheels today

Hi guys,

It’s been cold and rainy here in NY so I had my S parked outside under her cover for the last 3 days. Today is nice, so I went to start her up and take her out for the day. She started fine and I let her sit at idle for about 15 minutes to warm up.

So I put the car in reverse and let out on the clutch. When I did this I hear two loud snaps come from the rear wheels. It was if someone had crazy glued the tires to the pavement. It was so loud I actually jumped and hit the brake right away. After that, the car was fine.

What would cause this? Bad wheel bearings?? Stuck calipers?? The noise didn’t seem to come from the diff in the center, but from each wheel because the snaps didn’t happen at the same exact time.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its ok. Don't worry about it.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Friend has an AP1 and he gets pad shift when he goes from a stand still in reverse. This comes from having gone fwd applying the brakes and in reverse, the rear pads shift and sound like a pop or snap.

Funny and worried me when I heard it in his car, as my AP2 doesn't do that.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this happens to me all the time as well. My tires feel a little wobbly for the first 2-3 minutes of driving as well. when i say wobbly i mean uneven.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,454 Posts

your rear pads were glued to the rotors with a light layer of rust. As soon as you moved the vehicle the pads broke free. You can likely see the outline of the rear pads on the rotors once it moved. Do you leave the parking brake on during storage ?. that makes the issue more pronounced (not saying you shouldn't do it as sometimes it can't be avoided). My car is on a level garage floor so I just chock the wheels and I might leave the tranny in reverse if needed but I don't use the parking brake.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
your rear pads were glued to the rotors with a light layer of rust. As soon as you moved the pads broke free. Do you leave the parking brake on during storage ?. that makes the issue more pronounced (not saying you shouldn't do it as sometimes it can't be avoided). My car is on a level garage floor so I just chock the wheels and I might leave the tranny in reverse if needed but I don't use the parking brake.
^This. I do the exact same as jfusion to avoid having the pads "stick" to the rotors. What you're describing sounds normal, but can be avoided.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by bmms8
this happens to me all the time as well. My tires feel a little wobbly for the first 2-3 minutes of driving as well. when i say wobbly i mean uneven.

Soft compound rubber. Flats temporarily from sitting.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by clag
Originally Posted by bmms8' timestamp='1323359717' post='21220963

hey, thanks for the insight. that is what i thought too. does it make sense to put in more air in the tires during this time? i am running rs-3's
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by clag
Originally Posted by bmms8' timestamp='1323359717' post='21220963

we get square tires up here in winter just from sitting overnight, never thought it happens in FL too, lol. Some tires seem worse than others too.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
your rear pads were glued to the rotors with a light layer of rust. As soon as you moved the vehicle the pads broke free. You can likely see the outline of the rear pads on the rotors once it moved. Do you leave the parking brake on during storage ?. that makes the issue more pronounced (not saying you shouldn't do it as sometimes it can't be avoided). My car is on a level garage floor so I just chock the wheels and I might leave the tranny in reverse if needed but I don't use the parking brake.

Quick Reply: Loud snap from rear wheels today