S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer

Old 04-08-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer

I was just curious if its safe to use this product? I have high mileage s2k and it burns some oil and sometimes smokes a little too. They also have a full synthetic version too. Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10001-He...oil+stabilizer

http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10130-Sy...oil+stabilizer
Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Oil additives aren't necessary at all, and personally, I think it's just a namebrand snake oil. You could be smoking because of the oil you're using, assuming you don't have an issue with valve seating or rings.

It's a known fact that Mobil 1 causes our engines to burn up oil pretty bad. If you're using M1, I'd suggest switching Castrol, Amsoil or Motul. A good quality oil will not need additives to make it do the job better.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucas makes good a product. I use the oil stabilizer mixed as directed with Royal Purple 5-30w. Limits the oil burn in my ap1. I would and do use it. I noticed less oil burn no puffs of smoke at startup. Quiet cold and hot start ups no dry starts at all. Lucas works good mix per directions try it.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bliss
Lucas makes good a product. I use the oil stabilizer mixed as directed with Royal Purple 5-30w. Limits the oil burn in my ap1. I would and do use it. I noticed less oil burn no puffs of smoke at startup. Quiet cold and hot start ups no dry starts at all. Lucas works good mix per directions try it.
But all that you're doing is thickening the oil. If you're trying to conceal blow by and smoking, why not run a thicker oil from the start?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 AM

^Thanks I know but more is going on than what you say. I would not just add thick oil. IMO I would use Lucas stabilizer in my cars mixed per directions with correct oil.

No one here will change my mind on this we will talk after 300k miles.lol
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bliss
^Thanks I know but more is going on than what you say. I would not just add thick oil. IMO I would use Lucas stabilizer in my cars mixed per directions with correct oil.

No one here will change my mind on this we will talk after 300k miles.lol
Yeah, i'm not trying to start a debate with you man. Just wondering why you aren't running a thicker oil, since all LOS does is thicken it.

Do what works for you I guess. I tried it in a couple of my other cars and didn't notice a difference. That's why I have zero faith in it. But if you like it, and it works for you, then cool
Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Well if you look at the lucas oil yes it is thicker but another thing you will notice it is sticky like honey. It coats and sticks to the surface to be lubricated. It tends to stay on part while car is off not drip back down to oil pan. Just adding thicker oil would be a problem I would stick oem weight oil. I would just stick to the lucas topic. I think its good to use in any car.

No problem on debate. All good.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^ Hey Bliss, which version do you use? Heavy duty or synthetic?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 PM

I have used both but right now I am using the HD mixed with the RP. As stated above. I think the HD works better for oil burn but both works well. For my ap1 I noticed much less oil burn. Seems to work for me I change it out with new oil every 4k miles with new oem filter.
I used to get smoke puffs at startup sometimes. That has gone away and much less burn. It is warm/ hot where I live and 110k miles on S.
I drive DD and vtec from time to time 9k rpm as well. I do change oil on time if not before required miles.
I feel a 9 k motor should get better attention in regards to oil and sooner frequency of oil/filter change.

I never had any problems with this product it is good for assembly oil as well.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:32 PM

As far as I know,Lucas makes good products.

I'm not a fan of oil additives and sometimes ( note I said sometimes) they are used as a way to deal with mechanical problems.

\rlr
Carolina

Quick Reply: lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer