S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Major S2000 mechanical revision

Old 10-24-2018, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major S2000 mechanical revision

Hello.

I'm doing a major revision on my S2000 in December. The car is 17 years old, obviously not everything is from origin but a few things are, and since it's a used car there are some parts that I dont know when and if they were replaced new.
I've had the car for 5 years now and this is my first major service that I'm doing. By major I mean replacing aging stuff, instead of just oil and filters.

That said, here's a list of what I've ordered and am going replace:
All of the items are OEM and I'm sticking to a car as much OEM as possible.

- Upgrade valve retainers to AP2;
- Brand new spark plugs (NGK);
- TCT;
- Timing Chain; (i know this one hardly breaks, but it's been 17 years so why not)
- Upgrade Banjo bolts to AP2 (the little pieces that spit oil into the cylinders);

Quite some money invested there and so far these are the parts that (from what I've read and seen) are recommended to upgrade/change/inspect in order to avoid major engine faults.
My mechanic is also going to inspect the gearbox and see if everything's good, because so far I don't have any complaints about it. He's also going to proceed to engine cleaning and tube cleaning with proper liquids so all that dirt will come off.

After taking care of the mechanics, I'm also going for a brand new car paint. Mine is an original silverstone AP1 and the paint has never been touched and it's revealing signs of wear, scratches, etc. There's also one or two little spots where the paint came off and before it starts getting rust on it I'll paint it.
I already got 2 oem red honda badges to replace the chinese-quality ones that came with the car when I bought it and I've recently bought a used OEM hardtop. I'm gonna paint the whole car with the Moonrock Grey color this time.

So for the exterior so far what I got:

- 2 OEM red Honda Badges;
- OEM Hardtop;
- AP2 Radio door;
- AP2 Shift knob wrapped in leather;
- Moonrock Grey paint (this one will be the last thing to do).

I also wanted to upgrade the rims from AP1 to the 2009 CR version but they are expensive af, so not going to happen in the near future.

Anyways, mechanical-wise, is there anything else I should be looking for, or you guys recommend replacing?

Best Regards,
Diablosrouge
Old 10-24-2018, 02:53 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I would not waste money on the timing chain, it can easily last the life of the engine.
If doing the TCT definitely go with the Billman TCT , guaranteed for life, replacing with a new Honda TCT may not get you more than a couple years as they need regular replacement and they are expensive to replace.
With the age of the car I'd install new stainless braided hose lines, cheap upgrade and they would provide an extra margin of safety if you do any sort of hard driving with the car.
The following users liked this post:
Diablosrouge (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 04:01 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Years mean nothing to most mechanical parts, how many miles?
Old 10-24-2018, 04:32 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

No need to replace that chain as stated above. Not much needs to be replaced on these cars even with age however, depending on your mileage and if the car is exhibiting any symptoms maybe a few new parts could be warranted. One thing you should check is whether oil residue is on your coil packs. If so then you should buy an OEM valve cover replacement gasket set which comes with the spark plug tube gaskets. Coil packs that are repeatedly exposed to oil will burn out leading to misfires.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you're in there I would change the valve stem seals.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check for oil leaks/seepage under the hood around the following and replace o-rings as necessary:
  • VTEC solenoid
  • timing chain upper hex bolt
  • oil pressure sensor
  • oil cap
  • oil dipstick
  • TCT
Be careful and do your research as TCT o-rings and timing chain hex bolt o-ring require special care when replacing.

I have a 2002 and replaced all of the above over the course of the last 12 months.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your help.

All of those parts I've listed have been bought already, so I'd rather just fit them in.
As for Billman's, the problem is i live in Portugal and not only is shipping a nuisance and expensive, but all I'll pay customs tax. Might be practical in the US but not where I live unfortunately.
The car has about 83263 miles btw. Theres no oil leaks but since the mechanic's opening the engine to change the valves, the banjo bolts and cleaning, it'll need new covers, plus I'm taking the chance to replace a couple other things so why not. It's not like the engine will be opened frequently. He's basically taking the engine out and opening it on the table, so it should be fine for any O-rings needing replacement.

Guess I'll order the valve stem seals and the spark plug tube gaskets.
Can you confirm these are the correct part numbers and the specified amount is right?

1x 12040-PCX-305 (comes with the spark plug tube seals and the cover gasket)
8x 12210-PZ1-004
8x 12211-PZ1-004

Any recommendation for the stainless braided hose lines? Where to buy, how many, etc. Sorry for the whole requests, but since I'm on a remote location it's quite hard to get stuff, everything needs to be purchased online and there's no much room for error because shipping costs are a nightmare.

Also, would you replace the coil packs or leave them as is? The car has misfired on me a couple of times, usually on 2nd gear when flooring the gas pedal on low rpm. Nothing too serious but it has happened and I have to take the foot off the pedal and put it again for the hesitation to stop. I'd say it happened to me about 5 times in the 5 years of ownership.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

If you are looking for SS brake lines then Goodridge and Stoptech both offer model specific kits for the S2000. Good luck with your upgrades/updates.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Coolant should be changed after 10 years or 100,000 miles, then every 5 years or 60k miles. Check your radiator for stress cracks near the upper hose. The banjo bolt "upgrade" has caused a lot of people a lot of headaches with stripped threads, and in one case a cracked block, as well as oil starvation from the bolt backing out. I would not be so eager to do that, torque is critical and very easy to mess up. It's much easier to do with the oil pump/pick up tube removed, if you're dead set on doing the timing chain I guess it's not that much a stretch(get it chain pun).
Old 10-24-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Just about everything I thought of was discussed above. As the car parts supply is going to be soon curtailed from Honda, you may want to look at some of the hard to find stuff like seals around windows, top, and doors. I don't know what you call it but I found my always garaged 2009 the rubber molding that runs along the driver and pax window bottom was cracked at the seam. Got two new ones. You may want to consider new engine and trans mounts too.

Quick Reply: Major S2000 mechanical revision