S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MAP sensor

Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MAP sensor

Hi,

I'm thinking I need to replace my MAP sensor, as it likes to act funny sometimes. An ECU reset/MAP whack will make it feel better for a bit, but then when the temperature changes/over time it gets goofy again.

A MAP sensor from Honda is about $90 special order and I'm seeing a lot of much cheaper aftermarket MAP sensors out there. My question is, are they safe to use? I've heard the OEM Honda S2000 MAP sensor was tested a few years ago and isn't exactly the highest quality it could be... so could an aftermarket MAP sensor actually work better?

Just wanted to know before I go blow $90 replacing an OEM part which should still work correctly @ 58k miles. :\
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take the map off the throttle body, clean the orifice that connects it to the throttle plate, reattach.

Your problems will be solved.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

use some electronic cleaner on the sensor and the orifice like mentioned above, it's better than a whack.

The price on that MAP sensor sounds very expensive, I think I paid a lot less than that and our parts pricing is usually twice as much as US prices. Majestic Honda lists it for $57, might be able to get it cheaper than that if you shop around. I wouldn't say the Honda sensors are low quality, they actually work pretty well for many years.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been acting up as well lately. Only at idle after the car is warmed up, when i coast down to a stop the car will begin to idle very rich, 10.5-11afr and either stall completely or shake violently for 10-15 seconds then will recover if it didnt stall and then run normal. I just ordered a new map sensor from majestic so i will report back if that solves the issue. Tried the whack and cleaning and it and resetting the ecu and all the but the problem has been around for a few weeks now. No ecu cel codes are being thrown though so i'll try replacing the map first and see how that turns out. Btw after shipping and handling fees a new map is $75 from majestic. My local dealership wanted $89.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by spectacle,Feb 17 2011, 08:37 AM
Take the map off the throttle body, clean the orifice that connects it to the throttle plate, reattach.

Your problems will be solved.
I have done this... it worked great for about 2 days and then started acting up again. :\ Just Pymp above me said, I did all of the fixes and it works great for a little while, and then acts stupid again.

A friend of mine has an extra MAP sensor lying around, I'm going to put his on my car and see if it solves my problems.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated,Feb 19 2011, 10:45 PM
I have done this... it worked great for about 2 days and then started acting up again. :\ Just Pymp above me said, I did all of the fixes and it works great for a little while, and then acts stupid again.

A friend of mine has an extra MAP sensor lying around, I'm going to put his on my car and see if it solves my problems.
good idea, see if that helps first. I cleaned my Idle Air Control vavle when I did my MAP sensor, I recommend that as well if the issues seem to happen around idle speeds, it isn't too hard to do.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Update: Well today i went and got a can of throttle body/carb/intake manifold cleaner. Took the throttle body off of the intake manifold and sprayed the cleaner on the TB on the front and back side as well as being sure to clean off the butterfly itself as well as the path leading air to the MAP sensor. Sprayed some cleaner inside the intake manifold to remove some built up residue there as well. Then I removed the idle air control and cleaned it out real good using the carb cleaner a tooth brush and some q-tips. I also removed the ECU fuse and decided to just leave it out. Overall the car is running great again. No more low or fluctuating idle, as well as the air/fuel mix is staying correct at idle. So might have been just a dirty IAC being the culprit. I still have a new MAP sensor on its way so i imagine that will smooth things out even more.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Feb 19 2011, 08:18 PM
good idea, see if that helps first. I cleaned my Idle Air Control vavle when I did my MAP sensor, I recommend that as well if the issues seem to happen around idle speeds, it isn't too hard to do.
I'll try the IACV once it stops raining, I've been wanting to do it. Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try the IACV, see how it feels, and then go try out a new MAP sensor.

I'll also try a more thorough cleaning of the TB system that involves the MAP...

@Pymp: Don't leave out your ECU fuse. This will cause the ECU to reset itself every time you turn off the car, and it'll constantly be relearning. This will screw up your gas mileage, idle, etc...
Old 02-19-2011, 06:52 PM

I have a VAFC and a MY 01. Im aware the ECU resets to factory settings every time i turn off the car. Thats exactly what i want. More power from the ECU not pulling timing over periods of driving cycles. Also the ECU no longer trying to tune out the changes made on the VAFC tune.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM

If you try cleaning out the throttle body, the intake manifold and the IAC and your still having trouble i'll mail you my old map sensor once the new one comes in sometime this week. My car seems to be running fine after just the IAC cleaning but i'll go ahead and still replace the MAP since i already ordered it. If you want my old one let me know.

Quick Reply: MAP sensor