S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MIA - Oil Cap

Old 11-20-2004, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MIA - Oil Cap

I had gotten my oil changed awhile ago and after awhile I noticed a really strong Gasoline smell. After reading a post here I checked to see if my Oil Cap was missing and Low and Behold It was. Well I went to Honda and Purchased another cap and Put it on. Now I hear a faint but noticable sound when driving. I have jacked the car up but cannot see or really pinpoint the noise. I think its no longer in the engine bay and has traveled towards the rear of the car and is sitting on the tranny.. I might try to stick a coat hanger up there but if that doesn't pry it loose what other options might I have? BTW the noise is Driving me NUTZ!!!

Thanks
Old 11-20-2004, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

huh? are you saying the oil cap fell in the engine??? that's impossible, the oil cap won't fit in the oil fill hole....i think you're being a little paranoid, most likely the service man forgot to put on the oil fill cap after doing the oil change?

I'm not even going to comment on this "I might try to stick a coat hanger up there but if that doesn't pry it loose what other options might I have"
Old 11-20-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a known occurance. Quite a few dealer oil changes have resulted in either the oil cap being left sitting someplace on top of the engine, then falling off OR the cap not being put on properly and unscrewing and falling off. There is a tiny, thin plastic ring that is embedded on the underside of the cap. This ring can get stuck on the top of the engine when the cap is removed. If the tech doesn't see this ring and replace it back into the cap, the cap will not screw on evenly. It will then rattle off.
You cap is wedged someplace between the top of the tranny and firewall or floorpan. You may dislodge it if you fish around with a coat hanger.
(DOOFUS tech! They should pay you for the new cap and time you spend retrieving the old one.)
Old 11-20-2004, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 20 2004, 09:23 PM
This is a known occurance. Quite a few dealer oil changes have resulted in either the oil cap being left sitting someplace on top of the engine, then falling off OR the cap not being put on properly and unscrewing and falling off. There is a tiny, thin plastic ring that is embedded on the underside of the cap. This ring can get stuck on the top of the engine when the cap is removed. If the tech doesn't see this ring and replace it back into the cap, the cap will not screw on evenly. It will then rattle off.
You cap is wedged someplace between the top of the tranny and firewall or floorpan. You may dislodge it if you fish around with a coat hanger.
(DOOFUS tech! They should pay you for the new cap and time you spend retrieving the old one.)
ahhhh my apologies
i thought the original poster was saying the cap had fallen in to the engine
Old 11-20-2004, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for your reply xviper. I'm hoping I don't have to drop the tranny.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Aqua,Nov 20 2004, 11:49 PM
thanks for your reply xviper. I'm hoping I don't have to drop the tranny.
Keep "fishing". Either from above on both sides or jack up the car and go underneath and poke from below. Of the ones I've heard about, I'm afraid none have fallen out on their own, but almost all have been "fished" out. I'm not sure if it's worth it to lower the engine/tranny to get this out. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:07 PM

I just love this site! Learn something everyday that can be applied to owning and maintaining my S2000. I will now always check the oil cap after an oil change to avoid the problem stated here.

Good luck with your "fishing".
Old 11-20-2004, 09:10 PM

happened to me recently. had the crazy noise, almost a rattle or buzz at higher speeds. cap was sitting on top of the tranny buzzing away. if your facing the car its right of the valve cover back behing the engine and 8-10 inches down, kind of nesteled in a crook. couldn't see it from below the car. could barley make it out while peering in from the driver side. had to push it around with a coat hanger then get my girlfriend to cram her tiny hand into the hole to fish it out. was not easy to get.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:14 PM

You really need to inspect your car inside and out before you leave your dealer. I know you're bringing it there for convenience and/or because you're not mechanically inclined to do it yourself, but the techs can get really complacent. Just imagine if you did 5-6 oil changes a day, 5-6 days a week. Would you really give that 5th or 6th car the attention you gave the 1st? No. That's why oil caps get left off. I've found grease on my seat one time, a dented stainless steel side sill, dirty hand prints all over the interior, you name it (previous car) and I went back in and said, "Excuse me, but was it like this when I brought it in? No! Fix it please!". Of course they loved me for it, but hey, that's what I was paying for, right?

I'd also get into the habit of checking your oil once a week.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Nov 21 2004, 09:14 PM
I'd also get into the habit of checking your oil once a week.
Every time you stop for gas or more.

Quick Reply: MIA - Oil Cap