S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfire CEL / Compression issue / Reman engine warranted?

Old 02-01-2016, 11:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by sqwsqw
Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1454363252' post='23868688
If any mechanic told me I need to replace the engine on the only two facts being that the valves were "in spec" and the compression was low on one cylinder... I would turn and walk away.

Leak down test. You still have several things to check out. You may not need a new engine. For example, you may have a burned valve that even though is in spec is not sealing properly. That's a $1,000 repair done and done versus $5-6k.

Replacing a burned valve would mean pulling the head, right?
Yes
Old 02-02-2016, 03:31 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1454363252' post='23868688
If any mechanic told me I need to replace the engine on the only two facts being that the valves were "in spec" and the compression was low on one cylinder... I would turn and walk away.

Leak down test. You still have several things to check out. You may not need a new engine. For example, you may have a burned valve that even though is in spec is not sealing properly. That's a $1,000 repair done and done versus $5-6k.
I understand the concept of a leakdown test, but I wouldn't know how to interpret the figures once they're given back? I will try to read around on the forums to see if there are guidelines to s2k leakdown testing...

Replacing a burned valve would mean pulling the head, right?
You put compressed air into where the spark plug threads in, piston at top dead center, then listen to where the air is coming out from, put in like 50-60psi. Out the intake, bad intake valves, out the exhaust, bad exhaust valves, out the dipstick, bad cylinder.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:46 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Find a competent shop.

To say the entire engine is bad due to age, especially an S2000, is complete ignorance.

You likely have a burn or bent valve, in my book that can be fixed while you wait.

I'd also be very wary about the new engine source, as people on s2ki would have heard about it.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:23 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101

You put compressed air into where the spark plug threads in, piston at top dead center, then listen to where the air is coming out from, put in like 50-60psi. Out the intake, bad intake valves, out the exhaust, bad exhaust valves, out the dipstick, bad cylinder.
...because if the cylinder was fine, it wouldn't leak air. If its low on compression, that means there is an air leak in that cylinder. So this compressed air test just allows mechanic to see where the air is leaking from. Its either leaking past intake valves, exhaust valves, or piston rings. Where the air is heard leaking from tells you which of these it is.

If its leaking from valves, its a much easier fix. If its the rings, well, basically its new engine time.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-17-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much everybody for encouraging me to give it another look and get a second opinion. I took the car to another shop in town and they said the first shop was full of it. They performed a valve adjustment and compression/leakdown tests and quoted the figures so I knew they were legit, all these sounded OK to me, and they gave the engine internal/mechanical aspect a "clean bill of health"! They believe they found that the car just had a faulty injector, so they're replacing it. Hopefully this will solve my problem when I get the car back tomorrow!

Thanks again everybody for your support. I will report back.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you so much everybody for encouraging me to give it another look and get a second opinion. I took the car to another shop in town and they said the first shop was full of it. They performed a valve adjustment and compression/leakdown tests and quoted the figures so I knew they were legit, all these sounded OK to me, and they gave the engine internal/mechanical aspect a "clean bill of health"! They believe they found that the car just had a faulty injector, so they're replacing it. Hopefully this will solve my problem when I get the car back tomorrow!

Awesome!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This forum most likely saved you thousands of $$.

Time to pony up for that membership sqwsqw!
Old 02-29-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear! Keep us updated!!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just realized I never followed up on this thread. Well, the car seems to have been running fine in the past year or so, since the injector replacement.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

What shop told you that you need an engine, so other owners know not to use them?

Quick Reply: Misfire CEL / Compression issue / Reman engine warranted?