S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Modify handling

Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modify handling

My 2009 is set for grip. I have stock suspension. And i would like to increase oversteer like on a AP1. Front springs are more hard, rear springs are more soft. Sway bars are differents too. I don't really know how to modify handling. I tried with alignement but it's the same.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Cheapest, easiest way, get an Ap1 rear sway bar, 00-02 if possible. That change alone should make the car more tail happy.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

are you ready for more oversteer? Have you driven a car in anger with over steer? are you prepared to crash more?

Ok. first off- you don't want more oversteer on the street- you will crash and wreck your car and maybe crash into me and then i'll be really mad. But since you don't live near me, what ever.

My '03 AP1 does not oversteer on the street because I have good tires- Z2- and am not a hooligan...usually. Will it oversteer on the street- sure, if i want it to.

On the autocross course, its way TOO oversteery at times- lift throttle oversteer that is- so i've tuned it out with front sway bar changes- first with a CR bar (397 lbs vs. the original 300 lbs) and then an ankeny bar. another option is moddiction bar- max is nearly 800 lbs I believe. but i digress.

How do you increase oversteer, or more accurately reduce understeer?

increase REAR stiffness OR soften the front. this gets confusing and someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i half way understand it.

1. stiffer rear sway bar ('00-'01 rear bar at 427 lbs) and/or softer front sway bar ('02-'07 at 300 lbs)
2. stiffer rear springs ('02-'03 rears at 309 lbs, or CR 343 lbs) and/or softer front springs ('00-'01 fronts are the softest at 219 lbs)
3. the easiest which requires no sway bar/spring changes- go to a square tire set up.

there you go. just don't change everything at once- you will make things worse. Suspension theory says to make a single change. test in a safe environment- like an autocross course. reevaluate the set up then modify again.

let me repeat this- do not change everything at once. ONE CHANGE AT A TIME.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/960...way-bar-rates/

darcy
Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragonfly83
My 2009 is set for grip. I have stock suspension. And i would like to increase oversteer like on a AP1. Front springs are more hard, rear springs are more soft. Sway bars are differents too. I don't really know how to modify handling. I tried with alignement but it's the same.
Just pick up an 00-01 rear sway bar, there is plenty of guys such as myself that have swapped these out for an ap2 sway and have one laying around for cheap.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by darcyw
are you ready for more oversteer? Have you driven a car in anger with over steer? are you prepared to crash more?

Ok. first off- you don't want more oversteer on the street- you will crash and wreck your car and maybe crash into me and then i'll be really mad. But since you don't live near me, what ever.

My '03 AP1 does not oversteer on the street because I have good tires- Z2- and am not a hooligan...usually. Will it oversteer on the street- sure, if i want it to.

On the autocross course, its way TOO oversteery at times- lift throttle oversteer that is- so i've tuned it out with front sway bar changes- first with a CR bar (397 lbs vs. the original 300 lbs) and then an ankeny bar. another option is moddiction bar- max is nearly 800 lbs I believe. but i digress.

How do you increase oversteer, or more accurately reduce understeer?

increase REAR stiffness OR soften the front. this gets confusing and someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i half way understand it.

1. stiffer rear sway bar ('00-'01 rear bar at 427 lbs) and/or softer front sway bar ('02-'07 at 300 lbs)
2. stiffer rear springs ('02-'03 rears at 309 lbs, or CR 343 lbs) and/or softer front springs ('00-'01 fronts are the softest at 219 lbs)
3. the easiest which requires no sway bar/spring changes- go to a square tire set up.

there you go. just don't change everything at once- you will make things worse. Suspension theory says to make a single change. test in a safe environment- like an autocross course. reevaluate the set up then modify again.

let me repeat this- do not change everything at once. ONE CHANGE AT A TIME.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/960...way-bar-rates/

darcy
You make me laugh. Between us no collision. Unless I come at your home with my old wheels
I don’t want to drift, just to draw near my ex MY ’01 behavior. My apologies for my english.
It’s to take better the tight turns. And then it's funnier course.
If i find a 02-03 sway, it twill be the same? It will be not very difficult to swap with a jack?
I tried with wider front tires. But steering was more flowing.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:07 AM

i can't speak for how sway changes will make things feel, but i do know the front sway is easy to change. 20 minutes job.

the rear sway, is a completely different story. not impossible, but the stock exhaust gets in the way, and therefore increase the swap time significantly. if you have an aftermarket exhaust with a single exit, then it'll be a 20 minute job.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Yep pretty much, disconnect exhaust from hangers, remove the sway bar bushings and use an allen key and a 12mm to undo the end links. If you can't get a good handle on the wrench you can just hold the 12mm with the wrench and use the allen key to undo it. I used a 5mm socket and an extension and shoved the allen key in there, made my own allen long wrench
Old 09-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Community Organizer

I didn't find swapping the rear sway hard at all, I even left my rear Tanabe twin attached. OEM oval cans might be too big to clear? Just make sure the car is up on jack stand and turn the bar in the right way to have it clear as you pull it out. Helps if you have a buddy help you hold and guide it from the other side as well but not required.

00-01 are the heaviest allowing for more rear rotation. 02-03 are lighter so not as much. 04+ are all the same and the lightest so will plant the rear more.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
How does going to a square tire setup create more oversteer? The front now has more grip because of the larger tire? Just asking since clearly I'm confused on this.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by S_DosMil
Originally Posted by darcyw' timestamp='1441852001' post='23742535
How does going to a square tire setup create more oversteer? The front now has more grip because of the larger tire? Just asking since clearly I'm confused on this.
Yep, you are changing your traction bias. The car is tuned from the factory with a stagger as are many rwd performance cars. When you put wider rubber up front and leave the rear alone, you now have more traction up front and when pushing the car to its traction limits, the rear will lose first, creating a car that wants to over steer. You have to retune the suspension to rebalance the traction bias. However I personally I find this working 2 steps forward and one step back and prefer just maintaining the stagger and running wider tires all the way around, with minimal suspension alterations. It performs to a higher level at the end of the day, relative to the total width tire stagger your running. In my case 255/295.

Quick Reply: Modify handling