S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Modifying the stock airbox

Old 07-27-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying the stock airbox

I searched a bunch of threads on putting a K&N in the stock airbox and it doesnt seem like its worth the money but what interested me was how people were plugging up the silencer and removing the inner wall/separator.

The logic behind this is that there is more space in the box therefore there is more air in the box for the filter to suck in. The problem I see with this is that that air will be warmer than the air entering the airbox

My logic though is that with the stock setup (separator and snorkel type thing) the filter is being forced to "suck" more are from the inlet of the actual airbox hence bringing cooler air into the motor.

I kinda wanna try the mod but I wanted to hear some more about it before I carve up the airbox

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs but with a car thats so well tuned from the factory it seems that there are no easy mods for this thing.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:45 PM

Cutting the stock box makes the intake noise louder. It cuts down on heat soak when opposed to removing the air box lid. It's not for any HP gains, just simple sound satisfaction.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:22 PM

Thats pretty much what i'm looking for. more sound, same HP. I dont want to hurt performance for sound by taking off the lid but it does sound damn good.

Do people leave the snorkel part that goes from the inlet to the filter face or is that supposed to be removed too? I would think its better to leave it on
Old 07-27-2007, 05:12 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

You mean the air box horn. You would leave that on as there is nothing to be gained by removing it. The hole would be the same size.

People remove the air box entry horn so that they can install a snorkel which is a device that sucks air from in front of the radiator instead of off the top of it.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:09 PM

I dont think we're talking about the same thing. I know theres a horn on the front of the airbox but I also have a "snorkel" type pipe that goes from the horn to the face of the filter inside the airbox. I dont think it will make a difference but I was just asking to see if anyone has done it. I actually just removed the divider but its not much louder than before. I tried driving around with the lid off and it sounded stupid awsome. I just dont want to hurt performance to get that sound
Old 07-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Why do people keep messing with the stock air box on the S for, honda engineers did develope a 2.0 liter 240hp motor for the S, so I think they engineer an intake that performs at its best. If its sound that your looking for then, just remove the top of the air box.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Taking the lid of the airbox is probably worse than altering the airbox itself. So this is probably not the best solution. I am looking to get an opinion from people that have done this as I know that the car is engineered extremely well. I'm an engineer myself so believe me when I say I can appreciate that fact. However thinking that modifying this car will only make it worse is probably false. By your mentality all race spec s2k's would probably be the same car we see in the show room.

Back to the point. has anyone done this in the past and found any positive results? I'm interested to hear this since I have my own theories on how to improve flow.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:12 PM

I just saw some of the 2jz s2k's and looking at their setup i'm starting wonder about how bad the heat soak could possibly get in a stock s2k with no lid vs the 2jz setup. That motor produces way more heat and the intake is right beside the block too. Anyone with technical experience have anything to say about this?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That divider is for harmonics and to reduce sound, it also traps heavier particles (sand, dirt etc) into the first section.

The snorkle/OEM setup is a solid setup with many people using it.

Cutting out the centre divider will help create slightly more room for the air filter (more turbulance too) and should help with throttle responsive.

Honda has a patent on the air box and in the patent they explain the divider's purpose is to reduce sound.

But the secondary purpose is evident since I found much more dirt and sand, smoke butts in the first half of the air box.

You can wrap the intake and arm in R4 insulator to reduce heat and block coolant lines (cross them) to drop the intake manifold heat. This also will net you some gains (or use a Hondata IMG)

K&N filter will also allow more air in, but will not filter the air as well as a OEM. Your oil will get dirtier faster as a result
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 AM

The problem is not the oil getting dirtier, but that the dirt has to travel down the cylinder walls past the piston rings to reach the oil.

Quick Reply: Modifying the stock airbox